This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Soy Intolerance-How Risky Are Shampoo And Conditioner?

daniknik

daniknik Apprentice

I don't know if this is the right forum for this...but I'll give it a shot.

I recently learned that the shampoo and conditioner I've been using, while gluten free, includes soy protien in its ingredients (they aren't listed on the label but when I inquired with the company they told me that they are used in the product). I have blood and stool test confirmed sensitivities to both gluten and soy. Do I need to get rid of these products?

FYI. I have very dry, curly hair and the products I'm referring to are Kinky-Curly Shampoo and Kinky-Curly Leave-In Conditioner. I've NEVER had products work so well on my hair so I'm very sad about the fact that I might need to eliminate them.

In an email from Kinky-Curly they stated:

"Our shampoo and deep conditioner contains Soy Protein but no gluten."

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

The trouble with shampoo and conditioner is that it can run down your face and get in your mouth. If you really don't want to change (and believe me I understand. I sobbed like a baby over Redken all being full of wheat) then you need to make sure that you keep your head back when you wash your hair and then if you leave the conditioner in for a few minutes, put a headband or something else to keep it from running down into your mouth.

I guess it would also depend on the severity of the intolerance because I'm sure that it's teeny weeny trace amounts that are into shampoo.

jenngolightly Contributor

I don't know if this is the right forum for this...but I'll give it a shot.

I recently learned that the shampoo and conditioner I've been using, while gluten free, includes soy protien in its ingredients (they aren't listed on the label but when I inquired with the company they told me that they are used in the product). I have blood and stool test confirmed sensitivities to both gluten and soy. Do I need to get rid of these products?

FYI. I have very dry, curly hair and the products I'm referring to are Kinky-Curly Shampoo and Kinky-Curly Leave-In Conditioner. I've NEVER had products work so well on my hair so I'm very sad about the fact that I might need to eliminate them.

In an email from Kinky-Curly they stated:

"Our shampoo and deep conditioner contains Soy Protein but no gluten."

I just wanted to empathize because I'd have fits if I had to give up Kinky-Curly. I hope you find a way to keep using it. It's a shame that us curly-girls have such a limited number of products that actually work for our hair, let alone weeding through them if we have intolerances that narrow down the list even further. BTW, I love their curling custard.

daniknik Apprentice

I just wanted to empathize because I'd have fits if I had to give up Kinky-Curly. I hope you find a way to keep using it. It's a shame that us curly-girls have such a limited number of products that actually work for our hair, let alone weeding through them if we have intolerances that narrow down the list even further. BTW, I love their curling custard.

Yup, I'm a big, BIG fan of their products! The curling custard is AMAZING and I am continuously amazed by the fact that I only need to use three products (sometimes hairspray too if it's really windy, or humid) and I'm out the door. Before I found Kinky-Curly stuff I was using loads of different products with tons of chemicals in them and I was still having hair issues. So far I'm just waiting it out until I'm done with the bottles of shampoo and conditioner that I have. Since the customer service rep didn't mention the curling custard as including soy I'm thinking that, at the very least, I'll be able to keep that part of my routine and possibly switch to another herbal/organic alternative.

I'm only recently on the diet (this is day 125 for me) but I'm doing much, MUCH better. I figure that if I get everything else figured out and I continue to feel good then it's not a problem. If I stop using the products for a while and feel even better then I guess that will be my answer. Even though it sucks.

Yay for the curly girls!

Archived