tdavery

Wheat Bread Vs. Cheerios

Rate this topic

Yesterday I was called by my daughter's daycare stating that she had a rash. When I arrived, the rash had disappeared from her face and was now on her stomach. We went to the doctor and he claimed it was a food allergy. The only thing she ate at lunch was wheat bread. She has been eating cheerios, baby cereal, gold fish, cookies, etc. for months. She is 17 months old and this is the first time she has actually eaten a full piece of bread, let alone wheat bread. Can a food allergy all of a sudden appear even though she has eaten wheat based food in the past? Or, could it possibly be that it was full wheat bread? We go back to the doctor next week for a follow-up for an ear infections, so I'm going to ask to do a food allergy test. I'm new to food allergies; they do not run in the family, so I am extremely confused by this.

This is not a comment on your situation.

But, for Celiac Disease, all regular bread is wheat bread. There are just more whole grains in "wheat" bread. Not more gluten per se. I guess the point I'm trying to make is, there is no difference between the two. White bread and wheat bread are basically the same, gluten wise.

Now for allergies it might be significant, I don't know.

Cheerios have much less gluten than bread however. They are mostly sugar, corn, wheat, oats, and other stuff. So only partially wheat.

best regards, lm

(Off topic)

Larry,

I just saw your quote about sobriety and laughed out loud. My feelings exactly. I had rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Marilyn

Yesterday I was called by my daughter's daycare stating that she had a rash. When I arrived, the rash had disappeared from her face and was now on her stomach. We went to the doctor and he claimed it was a food allergy. The only thing she ate at lunch was wheat bread. She has been eating cheerios, baby cereal, gold fish, cookies, etc. for months. She is 17 months old and this is the first time she has actually eaten a full piece of bread, let alone wheat bread. Can a food allergy all of a sudden appear even though she has eaten wheat based food in the past? Or, could it possibly be that it was full wheat bread? We go back to the doctor next week for a follow-up for an ear infections, so I'm going to ask to do a food allergy test. I'm new to food allergies; they do not run in the family, so I am extremely confused by this.

All the other foods you mentioned are much more process and probably have lower amounts of whole protein in them. It is possible that she doesn't eat enough of them to provoke a response, but the bread had enough proteins to cause a rash.