Rate this topic

Just wanted to share my thoughts. To be brief, i want to strongly advise those of you going this alone to reconsider and find a "clinical nutritionist". I am now working with a clinical nutritionist. Grateful to be doing do. There is alot of info not out there that we need to know. If you have pancreatitis also, get a nutritionist is a must. I am done with the medical community. They all need to go back to school or the entire field itself needs reformed. It is NOT enough to be only eating gluten-free. I am finally on the road to recovery. There are a lot of people toting themselves around as nutritionist or health counselors and they know nothing. Getting a nutrition degree online or in 10 month time period is bogus. They know nothing. The person I found knows his stuff and has celiac disease himself. Also, you can not rely on what works for 1 person will work for you. get a competent nutritionist.

Just wanted to share my thoughts. To be brief, i want to strongly advise those of you going this alone to reconsider and find a "clinical nutritionist".

I've been thinking the same thing. How did you go about finding someone good?

I've been thinking the same thing. How did you go about finding someone good?

Hi. I shopped around last fall, called 5 nutritionist/dieticians. Now 2 were to busy and could not take on new clients. Another did not want to take me on because i did not have the "standard intestinal biopsy" done. And the other 2, well, i asked them both the same questions and i got different contradictory answers, so I had no idea what I would be getting with either of them. So I tried going it alone. And what a mistake that has been.

I found this person through my boyfriends(he is my hero) friend who is a personal trainer. So I emailed him, liked his response and then called him, liked what I heard from him and made the appt. He is a "Clinical Nutritionist". Means he went to school and lots of education (11 yrs). He himself is a celiac also. Advice to you, I would look them up on internet and your local phone book and call many, ask questions mainly if they treat celiac and have it themselves would be a bonus. Check their education. One person i looked into few weeks ago, only had 10 months education and calls herself a health counselor. Bogus, no way I put my life into her hands. My guy may do phone consultations but i cant stress enough the one on one consult in person.

Now, I love these forums here, but they have played a part in mis directing me. Too many here are going it alone playing doctor and giving advice which is great with the facts but no 2 people on here will repair and hela using and or eating the same food and methods. This is BIGGER than we are and unless "we" have the education such as in nutrition and how it affects the entire body we are playing roulette with our lives. I am not a gambler. I want to be a survivor of this. get a CLINICAL NUTRITIONIST. Let me know what happens. Message me here.

Hi. I shopped around last fall, called 5 nutritionist/dieticians. Now 2 were to busy and could not take on new clients. Another did not want to take me on because i did not have the "standard intestinal biopsy" done. And the other 2, well, i asked them both the same questions and i got different contradictory answers, so I had no idea what I would be getting with either of them. So I tried going it alone. And what a mistake that has been.

I found this person through my boyfriends(he is my hero) friend who is a personal trainer. So I emailed him, liked his response and then called him, liked what I heard from him and made the appt. He is a "Clinical Nutritionist". Means he went to school and lots of education (11 yrs). He himself is a celiac also. Advice to you, I would look them up on internet and your local phone book and call many, ask questions mainly if they treat celiac and have it themselves would be a bonus. Check their education. One person i looked into few weeks ago, only had 10 months education and calls herself a health counselor. Bogus, no way I put my life into her hands. My guy may do phone consultations but i cant stress enough the one on one consult in person.

Now, I love these forums here, but they have played a part in mis directing me. Too many here are going it alone playing doctor and giving advice which is great with the facts but no 2 people on here will repair and hela using and or eating the same food and methods. This is BIGGER than we are and unless "we" have the education such as in nutrition and how it affects the entire body we are playing roulette with our lives. I am not a gambler. I want to be a survivor of this. get a CLINICAL NUTRITIONIST. Let me know what happens. Message me here.

While I admire your perseverance in trying to become totally healthy again, there are many of us who do not need to seek the advice of a nutritionist. You do not always need to have a degree to know the right things to do regarding recovery from Celiac Disease.

I studied nutrition for most of my life and almost went into the field but I was not interested in working with the medical profession. Their food pyramid that was all the rage when I was college age was a joke. I still think the advice given to the general public to eat lots of whole grains is wrong. So many people are walking around with undiagnosed Celiac Disease and they aren't going to be diagnosed, either....unless they become so ill they do their own experimenting.

I have made a full recovery and am doing fine...all without the aid of a nutritionist. I know what supplements to take and what to eat to remain healthy as I can be. There are many other people on this forum who have done so also. While there are posts with less than valid advice, I am always amazed that this forum has so many smart people who do give excellent advice...better than what you sometimes get from the medical profession. If people choose to go the nutritionist route, that's fine also but make sure, like yourself, that you find a competent individual. I have personally seen that those who have Celiac themselves make the best nutritionists.

I disagree that no 2 people heal the same. Celiac Disease is Celiac Disease and the treatment is the same....a strict gluten-free diet for life. While people may have different healing times and may develop additional food intolerances and allergies, we are all striving for the same thing...optimal functioning of the small intestine. How much you already know about food makes a huge difference in healing time and positive adaptation to the diet. I am also sensitive to dairy

so I don't just have a wheat problem.

I am happy you have found someone to help you and who you have confidence in but many people aren't that lucky. Better to go about it yourself, with advice from other Celiacs, than to put your trust in someone who doesn't even have Celiac. No one understands this disease, including the experts, as well as a Celiac does. I have yet to meet anyone who "gets it", except other Celiacs.

While I admire your perseverance in trying to become totally healthy again, there are many of us who do not need to seek the advice of a nutritionist. You do not always need to have a degree to know the right things to do regarding recovery from Celiac Disease.

I studied nutrition for most of my life and almost went into the field but I was not interested in working with the medical profession. Their food pyramid that was all the rage when I was college age was a joke. I still think the advice given to the general public to eat lots of whole grains is wrong. So many people are walking around with undiagnosed Celiac Disease and they aren't going to be diagnosed, either....unless they become so ill they do their own experimenting.

I have made a full recovery and am doing fine...all without the aid of a nutritionist. I know what supplements to take and what to eat to remain healthy as I can be. There are many other people on this forum who have done so also. While there are posts with less than valid advice, I am always amazed that this forum has so many smart people who do give excellent advice...better than what you sometimes get from the medical profession. If people choose to go the nutritionist route, that's fine also but make sure, like yourself, that you find a competent individual. I have personally seen that those who have Celiac themselves make the best nutritionists.

I disagree that no 2 people heal the same. Celiac Disease is Celiac Disease and the treatment is the same....a strict gluten-free diet for life. While people may have different healing times and may develop additional food intolerances and allergies, we are all striving for the same thing...optimal functioning of the small intestine. How much you already know about food makes a huge difference in healing time and positive adaptation to the diet. I am also sensitive to dairy

so I don't just have a wheat problem.

I am happy you have found someone to help you and who you have confidence in but many people aren't that lucky. Better to go about it yourself, with advice from other Celiacs, than to put your trust in someone who doesn't even have Celiac. No one understands this disease, including the experts, as well as a Celiac does. I have yet to meet anyone who "gets it", except other Celiacs.

You are so wrong. Sorry. Treatment is not the same. So, just because you studied nutrition does not qualify you. Sorry, do not reply to this. I hope this thread gets deleted. It is wrong to do this on your own from the start. Just because you made a diff choice dos not mean people with celiac disease do not need a nutritionist.

• Upvote 1

You are so wrong. Sorry. Treatment is not the same. So, just because you studied nutrition does not qualify you. Sorry, do not reply to this. I hope this thread gets deleted. It is wrong to do this on your own from the start. Just because you made a diff choice dos not mean people with celiac disease do not need a nutritionist.

You reply to someone with this type of attitude and then tell me not to reply to it? :blink: My opinion differs from yours and that's OK but I will repeat that not everyone needs a nutritionist when diagnosed. If a lifelong study of nutrition does not qualify me to help myself, then how do you put your faith in any nutritionist? They study nutrition also so I guess that doesn't matter? Maybe that guy you chose sold you a bill of goods himself? After all, if no one went to a nutritionist, we wouldn't need them, would we? He may just be protecting his livelihood.

If a Celiac has little knowledge of food and nutrition or has on-going problems, it certainly would be prudent to go see one but not everyone falls into that category. I hope you find the information and get the help you need but do not come onto a forum and tell people they are wrong for not seeing a nutritionist. That's your opinion only and it's not right for everyone.

• Upvote 1

I am happy for you that you found a clinical nutritionist who is celiac. I'm guessing there aren't that many out there so it is not possible for everyone to see one that that is celiac. Only a gluten intolerant person can understand what we go through.

The advise given from this forum is just advice. It may work for some and not for others. Some people find a really good medical doctor and others don't. It is all a gamble and only we know our own bodies. It is wonderful having all these gluten intolerant friends in this forum who at least understand what we are going through, even if they aren't always able to help us.

My medical doctor is an osteopath who's number one concern is proper nutrition. He doesn't have all the answers because every person is different. What works for one, doesn't work for another. I saw two naturopaths who weren't any help at all. Neither one felt I was gluten intolerant. I stuck with one for a pretty long time and just kept getting sicker and sicker.

I have so many other food intolerances than gluten and react to so many supplements. A clinical nutritionist may or may not be able to help me. Right now, I don't have the finances to see one so hope to regain my health with the help of my doctor, my friends here in this forum and my own trial and error.

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry but you are the one who is wrong on this one. If all of us who are diagnosed can't heal without the help of a nutritionist then how do you explain the large numbers of us who have had no choice but to figure it out on our own and are now fine? The number of us who have wasted dollars and time on consulting with nutritionists and dieticians who know nothing about celiac is much larger than the number who have found one who can help.

I am glad you had the good fortune to find someone good but not all have that option. To state that no one will heal without the help of a nutritionist is flat out wrong and can make things very stressful for those who are newly diagnosed and don't have the option.

Can't imagine how much the services of a clinical nutritionist would cost, as compared to say oh I dunno...a couple of books on gluten free living so you can learn about it yourself?

I personally don't have the luxury of a clinical nutritionist. I don't even have the luxury of paying full price for said books, though half.com is awesome! ;)

Perhaps if you start out with your diagnosis and don't know anything whatsoever about food and nutrition, then a couple of sessoins with a knowledgeable nutritionist might be in order. But if you're willing to learn and read about the disease, and really find out just how easy the diet is, it is more than possible to go it alone.

It's also worth noting that you found a number of other issues to work with in addition to the gluten intolerance. This won't be true of EVERYBODY. For many, yes, it's worthwhile to investigate other things, and for many people learning more about their food and their diet is helpful. It doesn't always require a dietitian, but sometimes it does. (Good analogy: I can do simple plumbing repairs by myself, even though I have NO training as a plumber, but there are some complicated things I wouldn't do myself.)