hungryallthetime

Gluten And Soy Allergy

Rate this topic

I have been gluten free for a few years. I'm in college so finding ways to avoid it is very difficult. Avoiding gluten helps drastically with my stomach problems, but I noticed the same things were still happening (gas,cramping,constipation) in addition to a splotchy red rash that broke out on my face, ears and neck, and recently I've been trying to pin point what it is. I have come to the conclusion that it is soy.(still waiting to see a doctor next month and get that confirmed) Learning all the gluten products to avoid took a while to learn and I feel lost trying to figure out what products I can consume that are soy free and gluten free. I know there are many oils, gums, guars etc that are derived but I need more help. Anyone that can help, please do! Until then I suppose I will just be eating plain fruit, vegetables, and meat. Also, does anyone know what tests are done at the doctor to test for soy? Thanks,

Morgan

You can get a skin scratch test, an ELISA test, or you can do a stool test through labs like Enterolab, Diagnos-Techs, etc.

I am also Soy intolerant and get the red hive type rash on my face, especially around my mouth. I avoid all soy protein, vegetable oil (if that's all it says without giving you a source), guar gum (for me, I guess its too related to soy being a legume, it sets me off everytime), and soybean oil. I can use soy lecithin in small amounts such as in chocolate and pam cooking spray but not until just recently, I eliminated ALL soy for 6 months before trying lecithin. Peanuts (also a legume) bother me as well but I'm not saying legumes will bother you. I am okay with peas and green beans. Keeping a food diary is most helpful. I kept one for over 2 years. I know it must be hard for you in college. I went to visit my daughter last weekend at CU Boulder and she showed me the gluten free zone at the dining hall. It was one small salad bar and a very tiny fridge next to it with a 1/2 loaf of gluten-free bread in the fridge and broken tortillas in the freezer...sad!

How common is soy intolerance in celiacs? When I first started researching celiac disease, I thought soy was part of it or contained gluten or something....which is bad for me because I'm also lactose intolerant.