1morething

How Common Is Lactose Intolerance In Celiac's?

Rate this topic

I was diagnosed with Celiac in October of 2008. I've been completely Gluten Free ever since, with the exception of getting accidently glutened. Lately I've had incredible bloating and belly cramps for no reason. From writing what i've eaten the past few days, I've noticed that I had yogurt one day and Glucerna Shakes the other day. Could I now be Lactose Intolerant as well as Celiac. How common is this??

I was diagnosed with Celiac in October of 2008. I've been completely Gluten Free ever since, with the exception of getting accidently glutened. Lately I've had incredible bloating and belly cramps for no reason. From writing what i've eaten the past few days, I've noticed that I had yogurt one day and Glucerna Shakes the other day. Could I now be Lactose Intolerant as well as Celiac. How common is this??

It is pretty common but I've always heard it's more common when you are newly diagnosed because the tips of the villi are where the enzymes get made to digest lactose. Many people have reported on here that after they were healed they added at least some dairy back in. Some can never add it back in.

It could be a possibility of course. Dairy isn't exactly easy to digest.

While celiac induced lactose intolerance generally occurs earlier - before damage is reversed, lactose intolerance itself, regardless of celiac tendencies, is quite common; the majority of humans cannot digest lactose into adulthood. The ability to breakdown lactose is a genetic abnormality (in the scope of all humans), and many, many cultures can't digest fluid dairy.

Yogurt, in theory, is more digestible, because the probiotic bacteria have broken down much of the lactose already. Similarly, with cheese, the production process eliminate most of the lactose (though I think glucerna has lactose in it directly). If you're experiencing this with yogurt (only), you might try taking Lactaid when next trying the yogurt. If you still have the problem, you may be casein intolerant (can't tolerate the protein in milk). In that case, you can try goats milk, which has a different breakdown of caseins, and some people can tolerate one but not the other.