jasonD2

Wheat Protein In Shampoo

Rate this topic

Can gluten in shampoo cause hair loss/thinning?

I'll vote for yes. I can't prove it but it seems to be in my experience. I was losing hair-lots of breakage and thinning-so much so that I had all these short hairs sticking out on top. It was a little embarrasing. I checked my hair care products and realized that I was using 4 with wheat in them-shampoo and conditioner from previous and had just recently added 2 other products. I switched and have never had that happen again.

Sure can. Being glutened from the food does that to me to.

Sure can. Being glutened from the food does that to me to.

I have had a terrible rash on my neck and behind my ears for weeks. Only yesterday decided to check my shampoo bottle -- wheat protein right on the front. Duh. I'm sure this is the cause, but changed my shampoo today so we'll see if it goes away.

Can gluten in shampoo cause hair loss/thinning?

Are you drinking it, Jason? :P;)

If you have an allergy to wheat in topical products, then it may cause enough irritation to cause a small amount of hair loss.

If you have Celiac and still eat gluten, then you could develop an autoimmune problem, like alopecia, which causes massive hair loss, to the point where many sufferers end up wearing a wig. Or you could be a guy who inherited the gene from your mother's side of the family and will have hair loss as you age. It can sometimes be dramatic even when still fairly young.

Other than these scenario's, if you use wheat shampoo as a Celiac and don't ingest it, it should not cause any problems.