This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Training And Always Hungry

coltsfan18

coltsfan18 Rookie

I am currently training for a triathlon, which is involving approx 1-2 hrs of training, 6 days a week. I have done marathons gluten free, and managed pretty well, but this time around I cannot get rid of my hunger! I am ALWAYS hungry, and can never get full. I will eat dinner, then a snack, then a bedtime meal, and sometimes will get up and eat in the middle of the night! I eat breakfast (gluten-free cereal), fruit, lunch (sandwich, fruit, yogurt), snack (oatmeal, cereal, nuts), then dinner and all the snacking. I am actaully gaining weight from all the eating, but cannot get full! Does anyone have advice? I just want a big old gluten-y dinner that can fill me up!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Are your meals sufficiently balanced? Enough carbs to replenish the stores you are using, but enough fat and protein to keep blood sugar steady as that is happening? (It looks like you're citing a lot of carbs and not a lot of balance, but you don't list the bulk of your day's meal specifics, so I could be totally wrong on that one.)

JillianLindsay Enthusiast

Protein, fiber and fats (preferably "good" fats) make us feel full!

Ideas:

-A big salad with lots of raw veggies, cheese, and tuna (if you like the taste of tuna). I didn't see any salads in your daily menu.

-Corn nuts (high in fat, filling, just be careful for the salted/seasoning ones because they are very high in sodium)

-Pistachios (same warning with the sodium content) and other nuts

-Guacamole (the kinds high in avocado content, it's the avocado that is high in good fats and will fill you up, you don't want a lot of other fillers in there)

-Make sure your dinner is a balanced meal with a big salad (your salad should fill half your plate), a healthy protein (fish is great if you enjoy it), and brown rice is among the healthiest gluten-free grain/carbohydrate and will fill you up.

Fruit is good for natural sugars & other nutrients, but not very filling. Raw veggies are much more filling and are important to have every day. Of course, you want to have a balanced amount of brown rice pasta or other complex carbohydrates if you're training 6 days a week. Balance is the key :)

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Jillian

I am currently training for a triathlon, which is involving approx 1-2 hrs of training, 6 days a week. I have done marathons gluten free, and managed pretty well, but this time around I cannot get rid of my hunger! I am ALWAYS hungry, and can never get full. I will eat dinner, then a snack, then a bedtime meal, and sometimes will get up and eat in the middle of the night! I eat breakfast (gluten-free cereal), fruit, lunch (sandwich, fruit, yogurt), snack (oatmeal, cereal, nuts), then dinner and all the snacking. I am actaully gaining weight from all the eating, but cannot get full! Does anyone have advice? I just want a big old gluten-y dinner that can fill me up!

tictax707 Apprentice

I am so excited to see a fellow triathlete on here!! I have been doing triathlons for several years now - I like the long stuff (half and full ironmans). I was doing marathons before too, then I feel in love with the tri. Needless to say I understand about tearing through calories like you wouldn't believe! When I switched from marathons to tris, I noticed a huge difference in my overall fitness. You become a much better all around athlete. It sounds like your body is still adjusting to the change. I actually used a nutritionist to help me get through my first ironman last year. Anyway - I would actually focus on that recovery window thats about 20 minutes after you stop training. I discovered these really awesome bars from purefit. They are gluten and casein free. They have a good dose of protein, a bit of fiber, and are not too loaded with fat. I would recommend eating half a bar within that 20 minute window, and the other half of the bar later. You are definitely on the right track with all the little meals, but it sounds like you need to get more protien into your system earlier in the day. I would also make sure you are getting enough fruits and veggies (at least 4 servings each day). I have noticed that when I am carbo loading or am inadvertently carb heavy, my body just keeps craving carbs. When I have the appropriate fruits and veggies, I just feel more balanced somehow. Also - how are your workouts going?? Are you feeling strong? How do you feel between workouts?

Archived