Scott Burkee

Gluten Free In Southern New Jersey

Rate this topic

I have been living with celiac for 7 years now, for that time frame I lived out in Utah, where I was able to find gluten free items at the local stores (Albertsons, Smiths, Walmart). I recently decided to take my hobby/baking of gluten free baked goods pro, so I moved to New Jersey to get formal education in baking/pastry. So here I am in the middle of southern New Jersey and getting very odd looks from store clerks and waitress when I ask for gluten free items.

So where does one get items out this way? I am near Atlantic City

Also is there any demand for a gluten free bakery out on the east coast? Cause I know there is demand back in Utah but rather not return out there for personal reasons.

I have been living with celiac for 7 years now, for that time frame I lived out in Utah, where I was able to find gluten free items at the local stores (Albertsons, Smiths, Walmart). I recently decided to take my hobby/baking of gluten free baked goods pro, so I moved to New Jersey to get formal education in baking/pastry. So here I am in the middle of southern New Jersey and getting very odd looks from store clerks and waitress when I ask for gluten free items.

So where does one get items out this way? I am near Atlantic City

Also is there any demand for a gluten free bakery out on the east coast? Cause I know there is demand back in Utah but rather not return out there for personal reasons.

We have a bakery in Cochrane Alberta called G.F. Patisserie and you should look them up. I know they were looking at expanding as a franchise. The baking is the best gluten free baking around. My non-gluten-free family loves their desserts! It you look up the Celiac Husband you can see what they can do. They are making wedding cakes now as well. Beautiful!

There is a gluten free bakery called Mr. Ritts in Millville, NJ...about 30-40 minutes from AC. There is also a wedding cake bakery called Lilly's (I think) that is in Bridgeton, NJ. Acme and Shoprite as well as Wholefoods and Wegman's all have gluten free items, but not really in bulk.

When I lived in SJ, I shopped at Whole Foods and Wegmans for my gluten-free items. Shoprite also had a decent gluten-free section but that may have changed.