dragonfly17

Do You Think I Could Be Celiac?

Rate this topic

hi guys, new to the forum.

I haven't been diagnosed c.d. but I think I might have it. So I would like to check out with you my symptoms. I could wait 3 months and see what happens but as I feel all and all pretty bad I'd like to possibly not wait too long.

my symptoms began after pregnancy at age 40 with exaggerate craving for carbs. I gained weight rapidly, to reach 116 kg now, after 5 years and a half, while before I used to fluctuate between 55 and 65 kg. I tend to eat very healthy, and I always liked grains, but never obsessed in this odd way.

especially in the last 2 years, I've had great pain in the feet that makes walking hard. The one of the feet hurting is the most acute and troublesome of my symptoms

suddenly, recently, my eyesight has lowered, but some day it's better than others

fatigue, mildly low basal temperature, mental fog, slight depression - I supplemented with kelp and dulse to get some iodine with no sensible change after a first improvement

lately, some pain in the bones, especially legs

tendency to get numb in hands in some positions

loosen stools, for years, but when I began taking kefir it did seem to get better.

lately I noticed that whenever I ate pasta or pizza I felt bloated, and my fingers looked particularly swollen. But yesterday I ate rice noodles with butter and parmesan and I felt bloated too, although not swollen in the fingers. In general throughout my life I've always thrived on rice and not done so well with wheat. My best shape ever was in a period I lived in Thailand. I tend no to eat too much meat or fish because I don't like them, but I like eggs, and so far I didn't notice anything wrong with them.

In the last five days I've avoided gluten and milk products - a part from the parmesan of yesterday -, but I can't say I see any changes yet, should I have already seen a difference? There's something new, and it's an unusual nausea, I generally don't tend to have nausea but I felt it several times in the last 2 days.

What do you think?

I have a certain aversion to doctors, so I haven't checked anything with them. I did try some cleanses and supplementation, with no apparent result. My thyroid is obviously not well, and it could all just be hormone related.

I am no pro to this I am new here. But I have read alot about the gluten challenge diet. Also many people have unclear results on their tests and even if you had it done and it were negative the only true test is to eliminate the gluten and determine how you feel. I always felt that something was wrong inside me, but I didn't have any proof. If you feel like this is it, try the challenge- it may change your life, and you could feel so much better.I wish you good luck!

Sure, all those are things you can see with celiac-or not. The only way to know is get the blood test or commit to a strict gluten-free diet for a few MONTHS. It takes a while for the villi to heal, so you most likely will have symptoms even after being gluten-free.

It's up to you as to whether you need a definitive diagnosis or not. Lots of people on here figured it out themselves. There is a steep learning curve to the diet and need for strict adherence.

Take care and check back it here. It's an awesome resource.

If you have insurance, your primary care physician can order the celiac panel blood test, which consists of:

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG

Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA

Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA

Total Serum IgA

This may or may not return a positive result, even if you are gluten intolerant, but if you have or intend to have children it would be useful to know if you actually have celiac disease because of the genetic component.

Your symptoms are certainly compatible with at the least a gluten intolerance. If you wish to avoid doctors at all costs, then avoid the gluten and see how you feel. It won't be like turning off a light switch and suddenly you are better; but if it is gluten you should notice a gradual improvement in all your symptoms. And if it is gluten you really should discontinue eating it before you develop some of the more serious other conditions that can be caused by gluten consumption.

Let us know what you decide and the outcome, and fire away with any questions you have.

Guest doradomiel

I too am sick of self-destructive, self-righteous western medicine. They can never "fix" one thing without breaking something else, diagnose you by taking a crapshoot and seeing which pill "solved" the symptom(not the problem), and then have the nerve to look down on you and call you a hypochondriac when you do more research, know more than they do and figure out your own problems without having a doctorate. :(

But I think sometimes it's necessary to submit to testing. Like now. You need to know if you have it, so can prevent more damage to your body. You also should find out what deficiencies you have. I guess once you're done with the "gods" of medicine, you could find a naturopath that's experienced in treating celiac.

I would also suggest having your blood sugar and thyroid checked while doing the blood work.

thank you guys

yes it's confusing, I keep finding new diseases that have exactly the same symptoms. I'm in for a month trial of gluten-free, after which I was suggested to reintroduce gluten using something different than what I normally use, like barley, I don't know what's the last time I used barley. Like this if it is something else than gluten in the specific product that I normally use that causes sensibility - in my case white pasta or white flour - and not the gluten, I'd find out.

Anyway yesterday I had what looked like a withdrawal dreadful day, and I'm being constantly hungry, 2 things that may look like the real thing. Could still be mind tricks.