Alyahsdad

Just Started Diet And Have Some Questions

Rate this topic

Hello my name is Ryan and I'm 24,

I have not be officially diagnosed with celiac and I suspect I probably just have a gluten sensitivity or intolerance but regardless I started the diet about 2-3 weeks ago. I have probably had a decent amount of minor slip-ups thus far but im learning and I think I have done ok. Anyways since starting I am fairly sure I have lost 4-6LBs, which def isnt something I was shooting for since I was 6' 165LBs before, I constantly feel light-headed and the other night I went for a short run came home and my fingertips underneath my fingernails were blue, was kinda scary. I was planning on making a doc appointment instantly after that, but after some thought I figured it wasn't worth it because I think my doc would just tell me these things are because of my diet change and then show me the door along with my wallet being $200 lighter. So I am just curious if anyone here experienced these things after starting the diet and what you did to combat it? Or if I should go see a doc? I used to eat soooo much gluten based things before that I guess I can understand my body going through a bit of withdrawl, but these symptoms are scaring me enough to make me consider cheating the diet. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to respond.

I know when I first started I inadvertently went hungry a lot because I didn't know what I could actually eat, and was essentially frozen with the fear of eating something that would make me feel terrible. DON'T cheat the diet. It will just set you back. It's like re-opening a wound that is beginning to heal (but you know how it itches sometimes...). It also depends on what you are eating now. You need to make sure your meals are still balanced. Make sure you can get in a decent balance of protein, fruits and veggies in addition to whatever you are substituting for starches. I might recommend some bars as supplements. Purefit bars are gluten and dairy free and are packed with a whopping 18g of protein. There are many nut based bars that are out there that will supply fats, and depending on what else is in it, a decent amount of sugar.

But ultimately I think I would recommend seeing a doc just to make sure that there isn't anything else going on. :ph34r: I'm not saying your changes are unusual, but I still think it's smart to get a professional opinion on your health. I know the doctors out there are far from perfect, but at the very least he can order a panel of tests to get to the bottom of things. I wish you the best!!

Thanks for your reply tictax, I think I need to educate myself a little more on nutrition for this diet, thanks to your advice though I have been keeping myself full with 'Kind' bars, (until I order those purefit ones online) and I havent felt lightheaded nearly as much although I havent tried working out really since either.

Sweet! Knowledge is power, it just takes some time to accumulate sometimes. ;) Do post again if you have more Q's!

Hey,

I'd really make a Dr. appt-- you could be seriously iron deficient, probably with anemia. It's very common in undiagnosed celiac and could give you symptoms like that. But, because iron supplements can be poisonous at high levels when you are not deficient, having baseline blood work is essential to treating it.

Just be aware about the whole gluten must be in your diet thing if you want to be formally diagnosed.

g'luck.