OlearS

Weight Gain

Rate this topic

Has anyone had trouble with weight gain? I've been diagnosed for 6 years and I've gained nearly 60 lbs. I eat gluten-free, work out regularly with a personal trainer, count calories, etc. I can't stop gaining. Any suggestions?

Sure hope we can find an answer!

It took 6 months from getting sick to being diagnosed and I lost 60 lbs in that time. That was five years and it was great to learn that I could eat gluten-free -- only I gained about 100 pounds --

Even this week -- nightly salad and thats it -- still gaining weight. they are trying to figure it out sine I have some parathyroid trouble and recent heart trouble. Trying to get up my energy or nerve to do a cleanse and fast --

sure hope we can figure this out.

Good luck

Ken

Has anyone had trouble with weight gain? I've been diagnosed for 6 years and I've gained nearly 60 lbs. I eat gluten-free, work out regularly with a personal trainer, count calories, etc. I can't stop gaining. Any suggestions?

I just posted this in another thread but will copy it here:

Soy is linked to inexplicable weight gain. It's used in place of gluten in a lot of gluten-free free foods and it's in a lot of manufactured food in general. It's actually quite difficult to avoid, even more so than gluten. I believe soy is the culprit for my weight gain. I've been soy free for 4-ish months and just beginning to slim a bit but haven't lost any real weight. Since I'm dairy free I was eating a lot of soy (soy milk, soy ice cream, tofutti) but then when I found out I was intolerant and had to give it up I realized just how much soy is hidden in our foods. It's used as a filler. Something to consider as it totally threw me for a loop.

Soy is also linked to thyroid issues. I know when I've had soy because I can feel the glands in my neck and cheeks swell. I had my thyroid tested recently, awaiting the results.

I noticed you are new to the site...you might want to post this issue on the Diet and Weight issues forum or just look at that forum for insight to the issue..

I have gotten some valuable info from the forum. 6 years is a long time to me of not getting some stability with the issue. Makes me a bit nervous as I was just Dx in Feb and have already gained back the 25 lbs I lost from being sick and my body looks like it is gaining; however, I am considering the info I got from this forum.

Good Luck to you and this site has been a great support system for me, even though I don't post very often.

I just posted this in another thread but will copy it here:

Soy is linked to inexplicable weight gain. It's used in place of gluten in a lot of gluten-free free foods and it's in a lot of manufactured food in general. It's actually quite difficult to avoid, even more so than gluten. I

Soy is also linked to thyroid issues.

If you post blanket statements like this you'll need to site sources - what book did you get this from? What article? what URL? that sort of thing.

If you post blanket statements like this you'll need to site sources - what book did you get this from? What article? what URL? that sort of thing.

Hi Jestgar,

I have run across a lot of research (there was an article in the British Journal of Medicine - I think I saw it sometime in the winter of 2008-2009) going into detail on the linkage between soy and thyroid issues. This is a fairly well documented relationship in people that already have depressed thryoid function. Which is probably the real source of the not well researched or documented 'soy linked to inexplicable weight gain'. Thyroid function directly impacts hormone function which impacts insulin, pancreatic, and liver functions which affect the whole triglyceride cycle and adipose tissue which can cause weight gain or loss depending on a whole ton of things. While I have a lot of issues with way soy is being marketed, without much publication or awareness of its effect on hormones and the estrogen and testosterone precursors, any direct link between soy and weight gain is tenuous to say the least from anything I've seen.

Hi Kayo,

On another note I have to agree with Jestgar. If you don't know or have the exact reference, at the very least cite where you recall that you saw the information so that someone else can research it. If nothing else just say, 'I did a quick google about X and Y and found that .....' This will help people who don't have the time, inclination, or ability to do their own research to at least make a semi-informed judgement on how much weight to give your statement.

I didn't think I'd have to point out that a quick google search would lead to more info since that is pretty much standard these days. Never the less check out 'The Hidden Dangers of Soy'. There's a website and a book, both of which I have read, both of which have tons of info on how soy affects the thyroid and can cause weight gain. The author provides her own story and research and includes stories from other people as well.

Not everyone is well versed in using search engines. People with all different levels of experience use this forum.