cblack

Blood Test For Gluten Intolerance?

Rate this topic

Is there a blood test that tests for gluten intolerance? Thanks!

A gluten intolerance is an immune system response to a specific gluten peptide called gliadin. Both IgA and IgG antibodies for gliadin can be tested for through serum tests. Results are not 100% accurate for either a positive or negative diagnosis.

Is there a blood test that tests for gluten intolerance? Thanks!

No. Current terminology defines Celiac disease as having a positive antibody and/or positive biopsy. Gluten intolerance is defined (by the community, not necessarily the docs) as negative lab tests, but a positive response to removing gluten from the diet.

mr dr. wants to have a blood test as i'm self diagnosed. I asked him if i need to be on a gluten diet (as I understand, you must be on a gluten diet for six months; being horribly sick for six months, that is). He said: 'I don't know'. Right. Order a blood test and use NHS resources and you DON'T KNOW if you need to be sick for six months or not in order to get a result from the test that means something! Can anyone help? There are some saliva tests I've heard, but, of course, they want you to buy something.... And if there is a saliva test that is accurate while on a gluten free diet, why don't UK doctors know about it? Did they actually have to attend classes at medical university? Fed UP!