dhiltonlittle

Mold And Autoimmune Disease

Rate this topic

Does anyone know of any information linking the two? I was talking to my downstairs neighbor today and her husband came down with chrones the same time i got hit with hypothyroid and celiac. we got to talking and were thinking could it was something in the house? we have had some major leaking issues so i googled mold and autoimmune and there seems to be some kind of a connection. any thoughts?

I googled the same thing as you and it appears that the main connection between the two are people asking if there is a connection in the first place. Reactions to molds are controlled by your immune system. The immune system of someone with an autoimmune condition (especially one that is genetically linked like celiacs) is compromised. An already compromised immune system could cause your body to have an abnormal reaction to mold but mold would most likely not be able to go in and insert the genes for celiacs into your cells. The main thing about fungal infections in the body is that our immune system first needs to be compromised in order for them to have an effect, not the other way around.