This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

sugrrrplum

sugrrrplum Newbie

Hi everyone. I am new here and tentatively undiagnosed. Gall bladder removed in January 2010, problems ever since. Endoscopy and colonoscopy with 2 biopsies done in April. Inconclusive of course! I have been put on a 4 week gluten free diet for yet another follow up appointment. Just bought some books and learning that I really haven't even begun to start the diet because the doctor did not mention anything about cross contamination. (Silly me, thinking it was as simple as changing food items!)

Right now my diarrhea has gotten much better, but I have mucus/fatty deposits today. (I actually have small pieces that look like gelatin coming out without a stool) Is this a symptom of being glutened? Or coming off of gluten? Dairy?

So many questions, look forward to spending more time in this forum!

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sahm-i-am Apprentice

Hi there and welcome! I'm brand new myself, diagnosed with celiac disease just last month. I have read that everybody reacts differently to going Gluten Free, so maybe this is your body's way of dealing with the lack of gluten. And I have heard that people's healing time is different; some people feel better immediately while others wait months to feel relief. I wonder why your doc said just 4 weeks. Maybe waiting for confirmation of biopsy? Mine told me 6 months and then we will see. (Of course, I'm thinking, if I do have celiac disease why just 6 months? Isn't this a lifetime commitment here?) Hang in there and hopefully you will feel better soon! :)

Wendi

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Welcome! I'm new to the boards myself. If you are in the first few weeks your body might be undergoing some sort of detox. That was my observation anyway. I eat much healthier than I did before going gluten free. Very little in the way of processed foods. The first week or two I alternated between feeling better and feeling worse, then I got to a point where I felt better than I had felt in years. To start out you might not want to replace your gluten items with gluten free items. Try starting out with just meat, steamed veggies and salads (be sure to check any dressings or seasonings you use). Also don't go overboard on sugary items or really sweet fruit. Beans and too much raw veggies can be hard on your intestines too depending on how much damage you have. So you might want to take it slowly and a little at a time with those items. I've been doing this since January 2010 and I'm still not at the point of being able to eat a bowl or chili with beans in it. I can have salad and other raw veggies but if I eat them too many days in a row I'll be a world of pain. You may be able to tolerate those things better, though, everyone's different. I suggest you keep a food log of what you eat and how you feel. If really helps to figure out if there are other things you need to eliminate or cut back on later on (many people have to cut out dairy and soy).

quincy Contributor

Welcome! I'm new to the boards myself. If you are in the first few weeks your body might be undergoing some sort of detox. That was my observation anyway. I eat much healthier than I did before going gluten free. Very little in the way of processed foods. The first week or two I alternated between feeling better and feeling worse, then I got to a point where I felt better than I had felt in years. To start out you might not want to replace your gluten items with gluten free items. Try starting out with just meat, steamed veggies and salads (be sure to check any dressings or seasonings you use). Also don't go overboard on sugary items or really sweet fruit. Beans and too much raw veggies can be hard on your intestines too depending on how much damage you have. So you might want to take it slowly and a little at a time with those items. I've been doing this since January 2010 and I'm still not at the point of being able to eat a bowl or chili with beans in it. I can have salad and other raw veggies but if I eat them too many days in a row I'll be a world of pain. You may be able to tolerate those things better, though, everyone's different. I suggest you keep a food log of what you eat and how you feel. If really helps to figure out if there are other things you need to eliminate or cut back on later on (many people have to cut out dairy and soy).

I am newly diagnosed with relatively mild damage and I have had the most success so far with very basic foods: grilled chicken breast, steak, baked potatoes, bananas with natural smooth peanut butter, rice chex, lactaid milk, Tinkyada rice pasta (fettucini style is delicious) with Prego or Ragu. I am sure there are many other foods available that are basic.

I tried going with an organic tuna in natural oil and it gave me the runs, so that means my digestion is not mature enough to handle oils, raw veggies and beans just kill me right now as well. In time I will re-introduce these foods. don't try to do too much in the beginning, I have learned with many trips to the restroom.

Archived