suebright

Food To Gain Weight

Rate this topic

Hi, can anyone tell me how long it takes to gain weight after being gluten free? My weight keeps dropping even though I feel so much better than before. I can only eat fruit, veg, nuts, seeds, & fish at the moment as everything else causes severe distress. Suffered for years because of misdiagnosis but been gluten free for one month now - yay!

also is it ok to eat potatoes? regards Suebright.

You can eat whatever you want as long as it agrees with you ;) I put olive oil on my fish when I broil it to add extra calories. I find avacados easy to digest and they have good fats and calories. Coconut oil is also good on things-I use it to saute red cabbage with red onions.

I live on a diet similar to yours-minus the fruits-just meat, veg. nuts, seeds and fats and was able to stall weight loss buy eating plenty of protein at each meal and getting enough fats. If you're not ready to add in new foods, I think upping and consistantly keeping up your fat and protein portions will help.

Once you have healed it should be easier to put some weight back on. If potatoes agree with you then go ahead. Sweet potatoes are also a good choice. I do my own fries with either type, slice them and coat with olive oil and some fresh herbs and bake. Nut butters if you can tolerate them might be good also. If you can't do things like gluten free pretzels or crackers eating it off a spoon works. Once you can tolerate some gluten free foods one thing I did was get Wylde pretzels, both gluten and soy free (I don't tolerate soy) a bag was about 1000 calories. I would munch them from the time I got up till I went to sleep with the goal of eating a whole bag a day. I added them to my regular diet and by just adding those I was able to gain back the 5 lbs I needed to within a couple of weeks.

Avacados are a must for me, along with lots of nuts and seeds. Olive oil, coconut oil and butter also add lots of calories. If you can tolerate dairy, yogurt, kefir and sour cream can add more calories.

I haven't gained any weight in over a year but I'm not losing any more.