This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ttg Level Drop... Opinions?

Kim27

Kim27 Contributor

Hi All!!

So to reiterate my story quickly, I was diagnosed with Celiac disease in April. In March I had a ttg level of 168. I've been completely gluten-free since 4/28 (biopsy date) (that I know of!!!). My doctor wanted to check some vitamin levels last week and so she said while we're at it we might as well check your ttg-iga level. I protested because I had only been gluten-free for 5 weeks and thought it wouldn't be enough time for my levels to drop really or be normal. She insisted saying let's just see to see if your body is dropping/responding at all. I had read that most people don't get rechecked until 4 to 5 months after being gluten-free. So I heard from the nurse today that as of last Friday my ttg level is at 65. The doctor hasn't had a chance to talk to me about it yet, but the nurse did divulge the level number. So what do you all think??? At 5 weeks gluten-free should it lower??? Should it be closer to normal????!!! The normal range they use it 0-19. I want to be encouraged that it has dropped to 65 and just think my body needs more time, but I also want others opinions to see if they think it should be lower than that by now and gluten might be sneaking in somewhere!

Thanks for any opinions!

Kim

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

You're doing great! It usually takes a few months for Ab levels to drop so seeing results after five weeks is good news.

WheatChef Apprentice

Some IgA levels can take half a year or so to drop to normal levels. You're certainly on the right track!

Kim27 Contributor

My doctor called later this afternoon & said she's very happy with these results so far & that Im doing good with it. She said normally within 5-6 months, the ttg should be closer to the normal range. Thanks everyone for the encouragement! Knowing that it has dropped by 103 already makes the hassle worth it! ;)

DonaldandAlanda Evans Apprentice

My TTG went back to normal after a little less than 3 months

kayo Explorer

Can you remind me, what's the normal range for ttg?

Jestgar Rising Star

The normal range will depend on the lab that does the testing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

WheatChef Apprentice

Normally anywhere from <8 to <19

Kim27 Contributor

My lab uses <19 as normal. I know labs can vary but from what I've read from others on here for the TTG IGA that seems to be pretty typical. 0-19 is normal, 20-30 lowly positive, >30 very positive (at least that's what my Dr. told me)

Kim27 Contributor

I have a typo in my previous post, not <19 normal, it's 19 and <

sa1937 Community Regular

I think it definitely depends on the lab. My lab said:

< 5 Negative

5 - 8 Equivocal

> 8 Positive

My tTG was > 100 (definitely positive followed up with EGD/biopsy - also positive)

• 2 months later...
SaraKat Contributor

Hello- my TTG level was 38 and my lab said <5 negative. I have my biopsy Tuesday morning- did you have a lot of intestinal damage? I am so nervous about that. I have this horrible pain in my left side (just under the ribs and wraps around the the lower back).

Does a higher TTG level indicate more intestinal damage?

Skylark Collaborator

Does a higher TTG level indicate more intestinal damage?

Not really. Don't worry. Even if there is damage, it will heal when you go off gluten.

Archived