This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Kinnickinnick Hamburger Buns

AlysounRI

AlysounRI Contributor

Hi all:

I am wondering if anyone else has had this.

Even when I was eating gluten I very rarely ate "American" as I call it, i.e. hamburgers, buns, fries, big steaks and potatoes, etc.

I was craving a real hamburger, bun and all, and went out and bought the fixings for one and made one on Wednesday.

It was very tasty but I seem not to be able to eat those gluten-free hamburger buns. They seem to get stuck in my throat = I have a hard time swallowing them

and I even feel like throwing up when I swallow them.

I tried it on Wednesday night, Thursday when I brought them in for lunch and last night as I shared some the hamburger patties I made with a friend for dinner. So it happens every time so far. There was nothing else in there (the ketchup was gluten-free, I cut up some onions and avocados too). Eating the burger without the bun did not elicit this reaction either.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?

I should say that I make my own gluten-free bread as I prefer it to the store bought stuff but I was never a bread person to begin with.

I never ate mass quantities of bread.

What might be going on here?

Thanks,

~Allison

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

seashele2 Newbie

It's probably the texture. Are you heating the bun before you make your burger with it. I wrap mine in a damp paper towel or cotton towel and put it in the microwave for 12-20 seconds depending on the size of the bun. It softens it and helps the texture. Even after 6 years, I can not eat a cold gluten-free bun or I will also start gagging.

~Michelle~

splinky Newbie

i find that i cannot eat kinnickinnick products because they use beet sugar in their products. since i sometimes make my own bread, i have just ordered a bun pan and will start making my own buns so that i can control the ingredients.

AlysounRI Contributor

Hi Michelle:

Yeah, I toasted them in the oven.

But maybe as they got colder this is what happened.

Thanks for your reply,

~Allison

kayo Explorer

I didn't like them either until I figured out how to make them soft and chewy. I'll wrap a bun in a paper towel and microwave it for 1.5 - 2 minutes at 50% power. They come out awesome. I use the hotdog buns to make hoagies. They stay soft too even after cooling down. Regular gluten bread would turn into a rock after microwaving but it seems to work really well on the gluten-free breads.

AlysounRI Contributor

Hi Kayo:

That sounds ideal.

But I don't own a microwave.

I never have owned one either.

I have an oven.

Is there any way to replicate this in a oven?

~Allison

holiday16 Enthusiast

Don't know if this could be it, but for me the texture and the fact that it is just way too much starch bothers me. My oldest daughter would say it made her stomach hurt. Our solution was to buy the English Muffins instead which are lighter and cut them into 4 pieces and lightly toast them. The whole family likes that better and it makes the package go twice as far which is great since it's not cheap!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Hi Kayo:

That sounds ideal.

But I don't own a microwave.

I never have owned one either.

I have an oven.

Is there any way to replicate this in a oven?

~Allison

Wrap them in foil, no need to moisten as they will have ice crytals, and put them into a warm oven at 350-375 and check them at about 5 minutes. If still not warm and soft give them another minute or two. I do this if I am cooking fries in the oven and it is on anyway. After they are warm I like to put on a little butter and toast the cut side in the pan that I am cooking the burgers in.

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

Wrap them in foil, no need to moisten as they will have ice crytals, and put them into a warm oven at 350-375 and check them at about 5 minutes. If still not warm and soft give them another minute or two. I do this if I am cooking fries in the oven and it is on anyway. After they are warm I like to put on a little butter and toast the cut side in the pan that I am cooking the burgers in.

WOW Ravenwoodglass! That sounds great! You always have the best advice!

I've had similar problems with other gluten free breads & I just feel so full afterward. My husband said the same thing & he's not the celiac in the house, just me, so I know it's not gluten. I do think it's just the texture & the different flours some use. For me it's hard to swallow & then slow to digest.

I really like Udi's bread so now I just stick with that even though it's not a bun. I just hate being disappointed & wasting my money gluten free breads.

AlysounRI Contributor

Thanks everyone.

I truly think it's the amount of bread.

And I have a feeling that if I can get one bun into four pieces that would be the best thing.

Too much bread - and I have never been a bread person.

I am glad to know, that other people have this problem.

It's not the ingredients in this case - it's the sheer density of all that bread.

Just not something I am used to :)

I have three hamburgers left.

I am going to try cutting the next bun in four pieces and toasting it and we'll see how that goes.

~Allison

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Thanks everyone.

I truly think it's the amount of bread.

And I have a feeling that if I can get one bun into four pieces that would be the best thing.

Too much bread - and I have never been a bread person.

I am glad to know, that other people have this problem.

It's not the ingredients in this case - it's the sheer density of all that bread.

Just not something I am used to :)

I have three hamburgers left.

I am going to try cutting the next bun in four pieces and toasting it and we'll see how that goes.

~Allison

That may work for you. If not you could always go with a patty melt, which is simply a cheeseburger on bread rather than a bun.

AlysounRI Contributor

That may work for you. If not you could always go with a patty melt, which is simply a cheeseburger on bread rather than a bun.

Yeah, I know :)

But I was just craving a proper burger, which I rarely even did before I went gluten free!!

Thank for your input everyone.

The craving has passed now but next time I will try some of your ideas.

~Allison

Archived