This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Leaky Gut Diet

Lisa79

Lisa79 Enthusiast

Hi Everyone

Well I think I have been eating something that's not agreeing with me, I have felt crappy. So I am brave and going to completely give up sugar and try the leaky gut diet.

For those who are healing a leaky gut, what does your Gluten Free diet consist of, I have heard to avoid corn, (not an allergy I am aware of for me) but there goes my organic cornflakes I have for breaky most days!, so breaky is going to be a hard one for me.

Also my rice milk contains sugar, so another disappointment, I have not found any in Australia that are sugar free, need to keep on looking.

Anyway any tips or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BBadgero Newbie

Hi Everyone

Well I think I have been eating something that's not agreeing with me, I have felt crappy. So I am brave and going to completely give up sugar and try the leaky gut diet.

For those who are healing a leaky gut, what does your Gluten Free diet consist of, I have heard to avoid corn, (not an allergy I am aware of for me) but there goes my organic cornflakes I have for breaky most days!, so breaky is going to be a hard one for me.

Also my rice milk contains sugar, so another disappointment, I have not found any in Australia that are sugar free, need to keep on looking.

Anyway any tips or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lisa

I have found much in my research in terms of "leaky gut" culprits... not only to be the gluten in wheat, barley, and rye, but also things like the nightshade family of plants (potatoes, tomatoes, and peppers)due to their saponin content. Also any legumes (soy, peanuts, beans), eggs (due to their lysozyme content), the grains quinoa and amaranth, and alfalfa sprouts (due to their saponin content), are all lectins that act like adjuvants. Adjuvants create an enhanced immune response by our bodies - causing the gut permeability basically. And processed things like high frutose corn syrup, etc, are avoided. I still eat corn, but wonder if I should to totally heal (as it is close to quinoa and amaranth I think...), etc. It isn't easy, but much of the research I read points out how these things cause "gut" permeability, allowing the things we are "allergic" or "intolerant" of to get to other areas of the body we don't want.... I've read interesting research lately on how rheumatoid arthritis sufferers could get flare ups due to the food they eat, etc. I know when I eat soy or gluten, I feel like my joints are sore all over....

So what do I eat??? Things that don't contain the above... like the least processed meats I can find, such as Hormel Natural meats, anything from the butcher really, Starkist tuna in olive oil, fresh (and hopefully wild caught) fish, organic fruits, and veggies, and for now, gluten-free corn chips - though they may have to go too... I make sure I take in at least 9 servings of fruits and veggies a day (all the colors), and pretty much eat meat at every meal.

When I stray, I feel bad....good luck!

Much of my research comes from the books and blog of Dr. Loren Cordain, Dr. Peter Dadamo, and some PubMed postings.

Chakra2 Contributor

I was diagnosed with leaky gut after some allergy testing a few months ago. Here's what my doctor and my nutritionist prescribed. I've been doing this for about 5 months and feel way better.

*Avoid gluten, dairy, soy and corn. My doc said no goat dairy for first 3 months either. My nutritionist encouraged me to try raw goat milk and raw goat kefir after 2 months. The goat milk was a no-go but the kefir seems okay so far. Dropping all supplements and vitamins with these ingredients helped a ton too.

*Load up on probiotics. My dr suggested rotating brands each time you buy a new bottle so that you get a variety of bacteria. He also prescribed homemade rejuvelac (fermented grain drink). Google it and you'll find lots of recipes. I make mine with quinoa (I didn't feel comfortable using a gluten grain). I've kind of learnd to like the taste but it was weird at first. Oh, and I don't sprout the quinoa first because dr said that step was optional. The raw milk is also supposed to be filled with probiotics. I drink an occasional kombucha too. The nutritionist also told me that the probiotics in commercial yogurt aren't the kind that will colonize your gut (which is what you want), so that's why she recommends additional probiotic sources.

*Take permavite or another supplement with slippery elm and MSM to encourage new cell growth in the intestine (from the Dr).

*Consider IgE and IgG food allergy testing to help you avoid any foods besides the ones listed above that might be irritating your gut.

*Check out the Weston A Price Foundation website for more info about foods that some think are especially healing for the gut.

Good luck!

Skylark Collaborator

I was reacting to soy, casein, and shellfish at first. It took about a year for me to eat them again.

The first thing to look at is the "big 8" allergy list, which is Milk, Eggs, Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Fish, Shellfish, Soy, and Wheat. (Obviously wheat is out of the question.) It's really easy for your body to develop a reaction to those foods.

If you don't react to a food, like corn, it is OK to eat it. You're trying to weed out foods that make you feel bad, not foods from some arbitrary list. Listen to your body.

BBadgero Newbie

I was reacting to soy, casein, and shellfish at first. It took about a year for me to eat them again.

The first thing to look at is the "big 8" allergy list, which is Milk, Eggs, Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Fish, Shellfish, Soy, and Wheat. (Obviously wheat is out of the question.) It's really easy for your body to develop a reaction to those foods.

If you don't react to a food, like corn, it is OK to eat it. You're trying to weed out foods that make you feel bad, not foods from some arbitrary list. Listen to your body.

Wow, great information on here. I would like to visit that foundation website, and try the slippery elm. I supplement with L-glutamine which, along with a 12-straing pro-biotic seem to really help.

I know what you are saying Skylark with 'listening to your body', but you have to admit, it is not easy to always discern what the culprit is.... good luck to everyone on this lifelong journey. I count it as a blessing, as I am probably the healthiest guy I know.... LOL.

Lisa79 Enthusiast

Thanks heaps everyone, great info.

I completely agree, last 15 months have been really rough but its really a blessing as I am now so much more aware of my body and still learning more every day about what is good for me. Health has really become a huge priority for me now.

Thanks so much, would love to know what were all your symptoms of Leaky Gut were? and what symptoms have improved?

I am also taking a prebiotic which is mainly l-glutamine, a probiotic, digestive enzyme and lectin control. A strict no gluten, dairy or nightshade diet. (now giving up sugar too) I have improved but its been 15 months now and I just want to keep improving.

Thanks Everyone:)

Skylark Collaborator

For me it was mostly stomach-aches with the casein and soy. Sometimes I would get cramping and diarrhea. Shellfish made me feel funny and lightheaded and sometimes triggered a mild asthma attack. The shellfish seemed more like a true allergy with histamine release, but my sensitivity still went away after I was gluten-free for a while.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived