Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anabananakins

Got Glutened By Frying Oil

I was really silly yesterday. I was craving something substantial for lunch so my coworkers and I went to a burger place that does gluten free buns. I also decided to get chips (fries) because I just really felt like them. The burger place were great, they described exactly which ingredients contained gluten and which didn't and warned me that the frying oil was also used for a breaded product. But since I'm not diagnosed celiac I decided I'd experiment. Ugh. D later that afternoon and evening and I couldn't eat dinner (amazingly out of the ordinary for me!) and then I fell asleep on the sofa at about 8pm (not terribly unusual) and stayed asleep there about 3 hours, which is unusual because my sofa is super tiny and I usually wake after about 20 minutes. I woke around 11pm and went straight to bed and slept for another 11 hours. I'm always an early riser, I wouldn't sleep til 11 usually unless I'd be up until 4 am.

So I guess I really am that sensitive to gluten. I felt fantastic when I first went gluten free at the beginning of June, but less of a difference as I went along (I think dairy needs to go too but I've been resisting). I'm not remotely tempted to eat gluten again, which surprises me since I tend to be the kind of dieter who can easily justify 'just a little bit' even though I know that with sugary things a little bit means a whole lot soon after. But I guess I was wondering whether I really was as sensitive to gluten as other around here, given that I wasn't as sick as others were before I started investigating. My blood tests were all negtive (despite a 3 month gluten challenge) and I don't have the gene but my doctor supported me going gluten free as she feels it's not really all that good for anyone. I live by myself and mostly take my lunch to work so being gluten free hasn't been all that hard, so I guess yesterday was a very good learning experience considering I'll be travelling for a month in the US later this year. I can't let be anything less than 100% with this.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Better you find out when you can be at home in your own bathroom then when you are traveling. I know several people who tested negative for Celiac but have other GI problems and their GIs told them to go gluten-free or at least gluten lite because it is hard for everyone to digest.

Better you find out when you can be at home in your own bathroom then when you are traveling. I know several people who tested negative for Celiac but have other GI problems and their GIs told them to go gluten-free or at least gluten lite because it is hard for everyone to digest.

So true kareng! And I'm glad it was a friday afternoon before a quiet weekend. I still feel rotten.