This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Panarea Bread Got Me!

CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip Community Regular

I was having lunch with my friend today. We both love paneras and I thought I'd try to have it safely. I explained Celiac and how I couldn't eat wheat etc without getting sick. I asked if my salad could be made in back, the young mamager said no, it's the same as on the line. That the sandwiches are made across from it. I asked if they could at least change gloves. He said they would, the girl that took my order told they guy on the line to change his gloves. I knew half way into my salad I had been glutened. Side pains, stomach cramps. Now I have the headache. I didn't want to spoil lunch, so I didn't say anything to my friend. However, after my friend left I ordered something for my daughter to take home and told the same girl who took my order that I wasn't feeling well and feel that I was CC. She went back and talked to a few people and came back and said I am so sorry that will never happen again. The guy didn't change his gloves. I said no it won't because I'm not taking anymore chances here. As I was waiting for my order, I watched as a girl made 8 salads right next to lettuce. These salads had courtons and tortilla strips on them. I told the orginal girl, Look this is how CC happens. You have the courtons/tortilla strips next to the salad ingredients, plus she is making salads that contain gluten near the lettuce. Even if crumbs get in there it is CC and can hurt someone with Celiac. I did this all nicely, she told me if she was me she would be mad.

So far the only place I have had a good experience with eating out is chick fil a. I order the chargrill salad with honey mustard. I aske every chic fil a how the salads are prepared and I have been told they have their own seperate station.

You know, I wonder if I told them I had a peanut al;lergy if they would have treatedme differently??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

I'm sorry, I have a different perspective... but sorry you had an unpleasant experience.

Although Panera offers several lunch options that do not contain gluten, it's a HIGH risk for cross contamination. Surely, you knew that before your ordered. It's a bread company that served meals.

I am not one that is subject to cross contamination. And I eat there frequently and comfortably.

Dining out is our choice. Choose wisely. And the bottom line is, you and you alone are responsible for what you put into your mouth.

I would never hold a restaurant, especially one specializing in bread and breaded meals, to be responsible to keep my gluten free body safe. It's just not realistic and highly unfair to that establishment. Most restaurants cater to 90% of the general public. We are not special, but grateful to those who acknowledge dietary issues.

The risk is yours, accept the responsibility as yours.

The manager, that you asked for assistance...I presume during the peak lunch time, was multi-tasking for all the employees who did not show up, training, or assisting in all areas during a condensed time.

Continued criticism of places such as Panera, will soon result in the withdrawal of any gluten free menu or gluten friendly foods. I always try to be a good guest. :)

This post was not directed personally toward anyone, yet everyone that finds it interesting.

But, I have to add (per your statement) if you truly had a peanut allergy..and an anti-fa lactic response, would you be eating at Panera?

polarbearscooby Explorer

When I was VERY first diagnosed my life group at college (We are assigned a small group of girls if we are girls or boys if we are boys to get together with every week with an older student to lead devo's)

They all wanted to go there so I went along. I tried a fruit cup and less than half an hour later I was in the BR sick as a dog...I missed my last class of the day :P All my fault for eating at a bread place :P

I love getting grilled strips at Chick-Fil-A

and a steak at Apple-Bee's

CarolinaKip Community Regular

I'm sorry, I have a different perspective... but sorry you had an unpleasant experience.

Although Panera offers several lunch options that do not contain gluten, it's a HIGH risk for cross contamination. Surely, you knew that before your ordered. It's a bread company that served meals.

I am not one that is subject to cross contamination. And I eat there frequently and comfortably.

Dining out is our choice. Choose wisely. And the bottom line is, you and you alone are responsible for what you put into your mouth.

I would never hold a restaurant, especially one specializing in bread and breaded meals, to be responsible to keep my gluten free body safe. It's just not realistic and highly unfair to that establishment. Most restaurants cater to 90% of the general public. We are not special, but grateful to those who acknowledge dietary issues.

The risk is yours, accept the responsibility as yours.

The manager, that you asked for assistance...I presume during the peak lunch time, was multi-tasking for all the employees who did not show up, training, or assisting in all areas during a condensed time.

Continued criticism of places such as Panera, will soon result in the withdrawal of any gluten free menu or gluten friendly foods. I always try to be a good guest. :)

This post was not directed personally toward anyone, yet everyone that finds it interesting.

But, I have to add (per your statement) if you truly had a peanut allergy..and an anti-fa lactic response, would you be eating at Panera?

I do not have a peanut allergy, and it was at 2 pm and they were not busy at all. No one

was rushing to fill n order and he was matter of fact. Thats fine I get what you are saying, but you missed what I was. I knew the risk when I ordered. Thought I was passing on some info on being more aware for new celiacs! I am not saying all paneras are like this, but others should use caution,when ordering and see the top manager, not one that won't listen to what you are trying to explain.

StephanieGF Rookie

...Continued criticism of places such as Panera, will soon result in the withdrawal of any gluten free menu or gluten friendly foods. I always try to be a good guest. :)...

Hmm... while I agree that Panera would be a high risk place for someone with celiacs and I would not eat there because I am so sensitive to CC, I disagree with this statement.

I am not familiar with any claims that Panera makes, as again, I would not eat there, but in general I will say this. If a restaurant markets that they have a gluten free menu or gluten-free friendly items, then I feel they have a responsibly to follow through that commitment by training their staff regarding CC and ensure the best they can that these items are clean, especially when the customer expresses a concern. Otherwise it seems that they are just trying to capitalize on the financial benefits of the recent gluten free movement without a real commitment to the training and prep costs associated with keeping items gluten free. IF they can not make that commitment, they they should withdrawal the items (or the gluten-free labeling) from their menu.

Lisa Mentor

Panara make no claim of gluten free food, nor a gluten free menu. They do provide a book consisting of all ingredients in their products. They do have several choices that have no gluten ingredients.

But, surely, due to the preparation method they use and the constant exposure to cross contact or contamination, the risk is a heafty one for those that are sensitive.

I do like to support those establishments, that listen and try their best of accommodate their clients. :)

Archived