This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Long To Symptoms Last If ...

jjb1234

jjb1234 Rookie

How long do symptoms last if you have inadvertently consumed gluten?

And what are your symptoms?

And what was the time frame you had been gluten free?

Thanks,

Jen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I think everyone one is different. My symptoms last anywhere from 3 days to a week, depending on how much gluten I got and other factors like if I have been eating mostly healthy and clean or if I have been indulging in dairy and gluten-free junk food. However my symptoms are MOSTLY neurological with a little bit of gastro distress. They also don't always come on right away. Most of the time my symptoms show up the day after I consume gluten, making it very hard to track down where I went wrong. People with gastro only symptoms might be completely different. I have been gluten free for 7 months (with a few accidental glutenings per month).

sb2178 Enthusiast

two months gluten-free-- i go down for 4-5 days, but might be more on the 3-4 day level these days.

cumulative exposure to my reaction level leads to diarrhea for 1-2 days with joint pain for 2-3 days and fatigue/sleepiness (suddenly sleeping 12-14 hours a day? well, I ate something I shouldn't have) over days 3-5 or so.

jjb1234 Rookie

However my symptoms are MOSTLY neurological with a little bit of gastro distress. They also don't always come on right away. Most of the time my symptoms show up the day after I consume gluten, making it very hard to track down where I went wrong.

Thanks for your reply. Which neuro symptoms do you have?

Also, are you symptomatic even with just trace amounts of gluten from something like contamination?

Jen

jjb1234 Rookie

two months gluten-free-- i go down for 4-5 days, but might be more on the 3-4 day level these days.

cumulative exposure to my reaction level leads to diarrhea for 1-2 days with joint pain for 2-3 days and fatigue/sleepiness (suddenly sleeping 12-14 hours a day? well, I ate something I shouldn't have) over days 3-5 or so.

Thanks. I have the same question, do you become symptomatic even with just trace amounts of gluten?

Also, can you tell me more about the joint pain. I have had this problem all of my adult life. I do have a connective tissue disorder and hx of lyme disease, but I have known foods have always triggered both muscle and joint pain with me.

As I have been testing myself the past few weeks with glutenous foods, I am noticing bigtime joint pain and those symptoms take longer to resolve than the GI. SO do the neurological symptoms.

Do you know exactly why gluten intolerance causes joint pain? Any info on this issue?

Jen

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I have been gluten free for almost 8 years now. My neuro symptoms hit within a few hours and my tummy starts to grumble within a few minutes. My depression hits in about 24 hours and is overwhelming but lifts in a day. Stomach pain begins within 24 hours and I ususally get D 3 days later. Brain fog, hair loss, fatigue and joint and muscle pain can last for up to 3 weeks.

jjb1234 Rookie

I have been gluten free for almost 8 years now. My neuro symptoms hit within a few hours and my tummy starts to grumble within a few minutes. My depression hits in about 24 hours and is overwhelming but lifts in a day. Stomach pain begins within 24 hours and I ususally get D 3 days later. Brain fog, hair loss, fatigue and joint and muscle pain can last for up to 3 weeks.

I have lots of questions for you.

1.Do you have any info specific to what occurs with a gluten reaction when it causes neuro and/or joint pain?

2. What do you mean by gluten related cancer? I have many in my family that have or have had cancer and in my mind I know there is a good chance it is more rooted in some sort of immune related response.

3. Nerve damage, what type of nerve damage specifically and why? We have this too. It causes autonomic neuropathy.

4. Ataxia, I have this, my daughter has this. Any info as to exactly why this occurs?

5. Did you eventually have positive blood test or biopsy results, if yes, has anyone explained why all of the neg results?

Thanks,

Jen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I have lots of questions for you.

1.Do you have any info specific to what occurs with a gluten reaction when it causes neuro and/or joint pain?

I used to have links but if you do a search with the words neurological and celaic quite a bit will come up

2. What do you mean by gluten related cancer? I have many in my family that have or have had cancer and in my mind I know there is a good chance it is more rooted in some sort of immune related response.

There are a few types of cancer that seem to be related to celiac. Lymphoma is one and cancers of the excretory system or bowel cancers

3. Nerve damage, what type of nerve damage specifically and why? We have this too. It causes autonomic neuropathy.

I was thought to have MS. I lost reflexes in my legs and still have a bit of trouble with movement in the leg that was impacted the worst. I also lost bladder and bowel control, those eventually returned thank goodness and had problems using my hands. I still have impact on the right side which usually only causes issues with stuff like typing. I have a lag time in my right hand so I have to do a lot of backspacing and typeovers because my letters will reverse. I also had the form of dyslexia that makes doing anything with numbers hard like adding columns.I think the nerve issues came from the antibody reaction on the nervous system and the nerve damage and my DH were present for years, like since the age of 4, before I had any real bowel issues which showed up after I had my first child.

4. Ataxia, I have this, my daughter has this. Any info as to exactly why this occurs?

Most with ataxia will have brain lesions called UBOs or unidentified bright objects. Most neuros in the US are clueless about this or I would have been diagnosed much sooner. In some areas of the world they are considered diagnostic of celiac that has attacked the brain and like with a positive DH test no more testing is needed for diagnosis.

5. Did you eventually have positive blood test or biopsy results, if yes, has anyone explained why all of the neg results?

No I didn't and the gluten challenge resulted in my laying on the bathroom floor bleeding freely from my intestines so the biopsy was called off and I was diagnosed. 6 months after my diagnosis both of my children were tested and both had positive blood work and one had a positive biopsy

Thanks,

Jen

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Thanks for your reply. Which neuro symptoms do you have?

Also, are you symptomatic even with just trace amounts of gluten from something like contamination?

Jen

I have muscle pain/cramping in my legs, joint pain/swelling joints, weakness in my hands, shaky hands, brain fog, fatigue, high emotionality (will cry at any silly little thing), blurred vision, fainting spells/passing out out from the pain, chest pain... and many more little things but those are the ones I can think of right now. All of this went away without gluten.

I am very sensitive to trace amounts. One time I took a sip from my husband's water bottle after he had been eating gluteny food all day. I had glutening symptoms the next day and that is the only thing I could figure out. I make my husband brush his teeth really well if he has been eating anything with gluten because he can gluten me with a kiss.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Do you become symptomatic even with just trace amounts of gluten?

Jen

Yes even trace amounts get me. I am also sensitive to distilled gluten grains in vinegar and alcohol which most of us can handle just fine.

sb2178 Enthusiast

I don't think I'm hypersensitive-- basically, eating out is fine once a week at a couple of aware places but if i go visit someone who bakes/eats toast/cereal etc and doesn't have an obsessively clean kitchen, I'll be sick after a couple of days.

I have not had any problems in my own kitchen (no sharing) and I haven't gotten around to replacing cutting boards, spoons, etc yet. (But I don't eat toast or have non-stick pans.)

I think the join pain is just a general inflammatory reaction, but my dad's family also has a clear history of rheumatoid arthritis. I'm not sure if that is related somehow, and haven't seen anything in any of my reading to really indicate mechanisms or any certainty. Also, thank heavens, seronegative for RA and the pain/minor occasional swelling completely goes away as long as I avoid gluten. Could there be an different autoimmune connection? Maybe, but I don't think anyone is looking.

Archived