This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can Biopsy Give Useful Info 8 Months After Gluten-Free?

Chakra2

Chakra2 Contributor

I had a chance today to ask questions of my mom's GI doctor -- kind of an informal second opinion. I went gluten-free in January trying to address other health issues before I got celiac testing done. My original GI doc said celiac was likely but no need to do challenge or biopsy since my genetic test showed celiac genes and I was doing so much better after going gluten free. My mom's GI doc said he agreed about not doing a gluten challenge (no need to feel miserable) but that I should get a biopsy. He said that a really skilled pathologist can see signs of old damage even months after being gluten free.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to do it -- hassle, expense vs maybe getting a formal diagnosis.

Has anyone gotten useful info from a biopsy many months after going gluten free? Has anyone's biopsy late in the game still shown damage?

I'm 33 and think I might have had celiac disease since infancy, in case that's relevant.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

Do you care what they find? Would it change anything you're doing? If the answer is 'no', then why do it?

Roda Rising Star

There was a person on here that opted out of the biopsy initally and then many months later had the EGD and biopsy because I believe she was still having problems. From what I can remember her biopsy was positive and they were able to address some other issues as well. I think it was foodiegurl so maybe she can chime in and talk to you. Celiac isn't the only thing that can show up on an EGD. I have had two, one before gluten free after my positive blood work and a repeat one just in April. I hesitated on the repeat EGD for four months but then decided to have it done. My small bowel biopsy was good this time but they found a gastric ulcer. So I'm glad I had it done again because the ulcer was new as I didn't have any on my scope I had in 2008. You just need to weigh the pros and cons and make the decision that is best for you.

nora-n Rookie

I know about one person who was very ill with celiac, and had a positive biopsy.

Then he ended up in a different hospital after going gluten free. After some weeks gluten free they happened to do another biopsy which was clear.

They denied he could have had celiac in teh first place and refused to read the diagnosis or any paperwork from the first biopsy, and said it would be impossible for anyone to go completely gluten free. But he had a degree in chemistry and another degree and actually had mamaged to go completely gluten free.

Anyway, they found the small intestine was healed.

I really think it varies how fast the gut heals.

Some say it heals fast with children, and slower with adults.

Archived