This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I'm A Gluten Free Baby

ilookthetype

ilookthetype Rookie

So I'm a brand new gluten free 21 year old, who only realized that gluten and my guts were not getting a long after my sister told me bread makes her sick. (I'm going to tell everyone how very dumb I am and then ask for suggestions) See, growing up (settle in for story time) my mom told us we couldn't have allergies, and I bought into it, and I don't hold that against my mother at all, but whenever I ate anything and felt sick (and by anything I mean after every meal) I assumed that it was just...normal. I had felt sick after every meal all of my life, it's just what happens, I never thought to even tell my parents that I felt sick, I am a tough kid and I dealt with a lot of really dark stuff, but when I moved out of my house and noticed that my new roommate didn't eat and then immediately go to the bathroom, then wander around being hungry again, I got confused, and when my sister mentioned not eating bread I gave it a try, and then I realized that I could stop eating ANY foods that made me sick (and this was quite the thrill) eggs are gone, milk is gone, soy is gone, MSG is gone (for real this time) all things that I'd gone without for long periods of time only to bring them back and suddenly feel ill again. Today i was eating a gluten free meal and I had made it, in my house, and I knew that I hadn't put any 'poisons' in it but as soon as I was finished I was back in the bathroom. All I had eaten was brown rice, with vegetable that I had saut

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

vbecton Explorer

First of all, you are a funny writer :P . Secondly, welcome! I'm glad you are so young to figure out that food is making you ill. It took my 20 dang years to put 2-n-2 together. I've been called a slow learner a few times ;) .

I went gluten-free 3 months ago and quickly began reacting to many other foods: dairy, soy, legumes, corn, now fructose. The fructose sensitivity has really thrown me off because that wasn't even on my radar! I just didn't think anyone could have problems digesting fruits or veggies...PUH, boy was I wrong. What I'm hoping is that eventually I can reincorporate some of these yummies back into my life once my intestines heal. I've got a pretty mean case of malabsorption.

So, if you are sure there was no possibility of gluten cross-contamination, then you might want to look into fructose malabsorption/sensitivity. "All I had eaten was brown rice, with vegetable that I had saut

T.H. Community Regular

My first thought would be a possible cross-contamination that got missed somewhere. Like, did anybody use your pan before you and get a bit of gluten in it - or soy or any of your other problem foods - and it didn't get completely scrubbed away? Or use your spatula, or touched something that you touched and then that got into your food?

Second would be - is this a bottle of new olive oil? There have been reports lately that some olive oils, when tested, turned out to be soy oil with a dye.(recessions bring out the bad in people, eh?) Since you mentioned you had a soy issue, I thought it could be something like that, too. Or, this brand, or even this batch, could have been contaminated with gluten in the factory at some point.

Third would be - some whole grains are testing positive for gluten contamination, but under current US law, they automatically get to call themselves gluten free, because they are 'naturally gluten free.' So possibly your rice could have been contaminated with gluten, too.

Fourth - the fructose malabsorption mentioned, or you might look at sulfite allergy (onions are a big issues with that). But honestly, since this is something that you have eaten before and been okay with, hopefully it's a one time thing. I'd try the same dish with very well scrubbed cookware and different brands of these foods, and see how that one settles in your tummy. That way you know it's the food, and not the company contaminating your food, you know?

ilookthetype Rookie

My first thought would be a possible cross-contamination that got missed somewhere. Like, did anybody use your pan before you and get a bit of gluten in it - or soy or any of your other problem foods - and it didn't get completely scrubbed away? Or use your spatula, or touched something that you touched and then that got into your food?

After talking to my roommate I decided that it was CC, I really don't want to give up rice and I think that she's a little terrified that I'm becoming Orthorexic (which a friend of hers in high school had/was) and I never complained about being sick before, because it was part of eating in my mind, and suddenly I can't eat anything.

Any suggestions on how to live with someone who won't go gluten free? I don't expect her too, we've known each other for years and this wasn't an issue when we moved in a few months ago, and I really just don't expect her too. I also don't want CC to become a problem. I'm thinking cooking our meals at separate times (I'd cook first) and using separate cupboards for storing out food and different shelves for our food in the fridge...is this enough?

ilookthetype Rookie

First of all, you are a funny writer :P . Secondly, welcome! I'm glad you are so young to figure out that food is making you ill. It took my 20 dang years to put 2-n-2 together. I've been called a slow learner a few times ;) .

I went gluten-free 3 months ago and quickly began reacting to many other foods: dairy, soy, legumes, corn, now fructose. The fructose sensitivity has really thrown me off because that wasn't even on my radar! I just didn't think anyone could have problems digesting fruits or veggies...PUH, boy was I wrong. What I'm hoping is that eventually I can reincorporate some of these yummies back into my life once my intestines heal. I've got a pretty mean case of malabsorption.

If that's the case, red flags go up on brown rice and onions. Although there is conflicting info, if fructose is an issue, white rice is easier to digest, but onions are a no-no. Others on here will definitely know more cuz I'm a newbie to the fructose issue and have read to stay away from tomatoes, but another site says tomatoes are okay in small amounts :blink: .

Glad you found this site. It has helped me tremendously!!!!

Does anyone know why the other food issues come up after cutting out gluten? Is it just that the gluten reaction is just so much stronger than the other reactions? Because my body just...doesn't want gluten stuff anymore, my roommate was eating pizza and pastries in front of me today and I didn't even want any, but the thought of not eating brown rice, or onions or tomatoes makes my ex-vegetarian self want to cry and cry and cry.

Also, I'm glad you think I'm a funny writer, I try to write how I talk and it's all disjointed and stories, and I babble, kind of like now.

Anyway, so happy I found the site, pointed my mom and older sister in this direction too in the vain hope that my mom will be inspired to send me food that I can eat.

Archived