This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Heartland Gluten Free Pasta

sunnybabi1986

sunnybabi1986 Contributor

At Wal-Mart yesterday, I found a new gluten free pasta next to the regular pasta. The brand is Heartland and it's made of corn and rice. It was only $2 for a bag of fusili, so I picked it up and contacted the company when I got home, as there wasn't any labeling on the package indicating that there was any testing done to make sure that the pasta is gluten free (Heartland also makes a whole line of Whole Wheat pastas).

I emailed them and they emailed me back today with this response:

Dear Mrs. Flint,

Thank you for your recent letter about our Heartland HLD-I gluten-free SPAGHETTI-20/12 oz.

American Italian Pasta Company thoroughly cleans all production equipment prior to production of a gluten free product, and tests to validate the clean prior to start up. The gluten level of the product is also verified to ensure that it does not exceed 20 ppm. We follow the proposed rule in the Federal Register (72 FR 7295) that tests for gluten at the 20 ppm level.

We have an extremely detailed protocol in place to prevent cross contamination. Before we produce any product a thorough cleaning of all equipment and surfaces occurs. Several swab tests are done of primary surfaces to ensure the cleaning was done properly.

Our goal at American Italian Pasta Company is to produce the highest quality, best tasting product that is affordable for our customers.

Bobbi Tackett

Consumer Affairs Lead

American Italian Pasta Company

CASE# 1048001

I ate the pasta last night and haven't had any problems, so I guess they're doing their testing and cleaning correctly :) It wasn't the best pasta I've had (I like Bio Nature better, but it's twice as expensive :blink: ) It was good, though, and I'll be buying more for sure!

For those of you who are super-sensitive, this obviously would not be a good choice, but I've eaten several gluten free foods made in factories with wheat, and as long as they're tested up to 20 ppm, I don't have a problem with them.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up, as it seems to be a new product!

Their site is here: Open Original Shared Link

P.S. I found this pasta in the "normal" pasta aisle for $2 a bag and the exact same bag in the "Gluten free" aisle for $2.32 :angry: Way to take advantage, Wal-Mart! It's still a good deal, but why mark them differently?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

P.S. I found this pasta in the "normal" pasta aisle for $2 a bag and the exact same bag in the "Gluten free" aisle for $2.32 :angry: Way to take advantage, Wal-Mart! It's still a good deal, but why mark them differently?

Walmart charges by the bar code that is preprinted on the package. If its the same product put in 2 different places in the store, they will ring up the same price. For example, TP on an end cap with an $11.99 sign will ring up the same as the same TP on the regular shelf space with a $13.99 tag. Whether they ring up at the higher or the lower price depends on which shelf tag is wrong. The Walmarts around here always have people with price guns checking. Hopefully, they will fix the shelf signs quickly.

kareng Grand Master

Was just at Walmart. The Penne is $2 & the Fusilli is $2.34. That explains it, :P

sunnybabi1986 Contributor

Was just at Walmart. The Penne is $2 & the Fusilli is $2.34. That explains it, :P

I guess the price checkers at my Wal-Mart don't quite have it figured out...the penne and fusilii were $2.00 in the "regular" section, and the fusilli was $2.32 in the "gluten free" section...I'm very glad to know that they will ring up right at the register, though :)

• 4 weeks later...
BethJ Rookie

Has anybody tried this product yet?

I just discovered it today at our Walmart and the price of $1.58 scared me off. I'm not used to buying gluten-free anything that cheap. After I got home, I read on their website how strict they are about checking for cc so I plan to try it next time I go.

kareng Grand Master

We had it and it was fine. It didn't get mushy like the Tinkyada seems to.

BethJ Rookie

We had it and it was fine. It didn't get mushy like the Tinkyada seems to.

Thanks. I'll try it next time. I would like one that doesn't get mushy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived