This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Need Help Fast

revenant

revenant Enthusiast

I know it's the gluten doing this to me making me depressed and dangerous but i'm addicted to it through my loneliness. I have severe social anxiety which is only amplified by gluten and it traps me in my house with my horrible horrible family. I am crying at the moment because I feel like I have nobody to help me with this, my mom thinks i'm making it up and that i'm a hypochondriac even though she is gluten sensitive herself!! .... I just went up to her and asked if she could take me to a health food store so I can use my money on gluten free foods and then she started saying that I need to get tested on Monday. I told her, mom, before today I was gluten free for 1 month, you need to eat gluten 4 weeks reguarily in order to show a positive test. She goes no, that's not true, if you ate it today it will be there on monday and then maybe you won't have it and you'll just have to go to a mental hopsital for your depression. Then I told her that well I would like to be in a hopsital because they would take care of me, and she blurted out that it must mean that I'm FAKING all of my ilnesses to get her to try and TAKE CARE OF ME. I was full out crying my eyes out because I felt so alone in this seemingly life-threatening addiction and my older sister walks by and says.... why are you crying.. I tell her why, and she goes... That's a stupid reason to cry. She continues to stand there for 10 minutes telling me how stupid I am for crying. I cry harder, I am still crying and hello.. I have social anxiety from fear of judgement and I never show my emotions! Around family too. So now I feel ashamed, embarassed, like a freak or an alien and i'm so doggone desperate but because of my anxiety I can't get a job and I'm TRAPPED... WHERE can I go is there a recovery center or what should I do!! Who should I go to for help... in Vancouver, does anybody know a doctor that could talk to my mom?? Are there doctors that specialize in Celiacs?????? Where? Ugh

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cassP Contributor

ok, i dont have all the answers for you- but im worried. please take a moment and breathe- and know this depression does not last forever. i know all about depression and anxiety and just feeling like you're spiraling and spiraling even deeper into it. you're not alone, and it wont last forever.

ok, 1st- you're having a test on monday? but you've been gluten free for a month now?? if that's the case- your test could be invalid or false negative. everyone on here suggests at least 4-6 weeks on like 4 slices of bread a day worth of gluten.

im not sure what to tell you- but i think you need to see your general doctor (without your mom)- and write down on a piece of paper what you need help with, so you stay focused... depression, anxiety, any physical ailments like stomach issues-> and then ask for a complete Celiac blood panel-

i dont know all your symptoms, or what you need right now- but you dont need to feel like this- if you DO have a gluten problem-> this could also give you anxiety.

get to a doctor and ask for help. dont worry about what your family thinks, or your phobias- remember that you deserve to feel better.. good luck :)

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

Well now I'm crying reading your post. I'm so sorry you are at a crisis point right now.

Number one you have got to get gluten out of your diet. You can eat fruits, veggies, meats, eggs, rice and you don't have to have lots of gluten free substitutes right now.

Anxiety became the very worst of my symptoms before I got diagnosed and it is the first one I get when I'm glutened. I know I've gotten glutened when I start to get a panic attack.

Once you get all the gluten out of your diet, the anxiety will lessen. Not sure if it will go away because that's individual. I don't have anxiety as long as I'm not eating gluten.

I don't use gluten shampoos, soaps, conditioners, or lotions because it gets in my mouth and glutens me.

I'm worried that it sounds like you are a child and you are emotionally vulnerable right now. PLEASE be very careful about who you accept advice from and who you talk to on the internet, especially when you are in this emotional state. And if anybody offers to meet you in person please do not go okay?

If you are in school, can you talk to the school counselor? Are there any other family members you can go to? Or the mom of a friend?

Skylark Collaborator

Take a deep breath. You sound really upset and I'm sorry you're going through this. I take it you ate some gluten again and it make you anxious and depressed? I know how awful it feels because it happens to me.

You are correct that your test on Monday will not be accurate. You never mentioned that you hadn't been tested. We would probably have told you to keep eating gluten. In a difficult family situation, you really can't go gluten-free without a diagnosis. Here are two sites you can show your Mom that say testing is not accurate on a gluten-free diet. Print them out and take them to your doctor too, with that bit highlighted.

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

I think you're going to have to gluten yourself up (ugh) and pray that you come out positive on a celiac test. It also sounds like you need some help from a supportive adult, like maybe a school counselor.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Do talk to your doctor alone. Hopefully he will be knowledgeable about celiac and be able to educate your family. If your Mom is diagnosed she should have been told the whole family needed to be tested before they go gluten free but perhaps her doctor didn't tell her that.

I lived through an abusive childhood and teen years and it is rough. In the US there are crisis center hot lines and if there is one in your area please call them. You won't have to give your name but they can help by talking to you and perhaps give you some guidance as to what you can do to get some help.

If you have a church that you go to even once or twice a year go to your pastor or priest and talk to them if you are comfortable with doing that.

Archived