Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

adab8ca

New Pots And Pans?

If I wash my pots and pans in the dishwasher, do I really need to buy new ones to designate as gluten free?

I wouldn't think that metal is that porous (although I did get rid of my teflon).

I bought a new cast iron wok/pan that will definitely be gluten free, but as for the stainless steel, do you think it's necessary? Especially since I will probably never use it for gluten foods, since it is only me and my husband and cooking 2 dinners is NOT going to happen.

thanks!

Ada

TTG >200 (normal <10)

IgA gliadin 24 (normal <11)

IgG gliadin 38 (normal <11)

Endoscopy showed damage that looked like "classic celiac", biopsy showed total villous atrophy

Started gluten-free diet Aug 31, 2010

Only real symptoms are huge weight loss and neuropathy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The traditional advice is to replace non-stick pans, wooden utensils, and strainers/colanders.

Today's non-stick products are vastly different from the first Teflon pans of fifty years ago. Those would scratch if you looked at them the wrong way. If you have something like a T-fal (Tefal in some markets) pan that is in good condition, I would wash it in the dishwasher and continue to use it.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007