This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Could I Have Crohns?

jasonD2

jasonD2 Experienced

Crohns is the one disease I never expected but is it possible i have it?

My colonoscopy was negative and my endoscopy was as well. I did have duodenitis last year but the biopsy for that was negative.

Also my inflammation markers on my stool test were normal and never had blood in my stool; never have diarrhea - mostly constipation. also never have loss of appetite, fever and i think my weight loss is attributable more to my bacterial overgrowth than anything else.

I do still suffer from upper GI discomfort after meals on occasion - they are kinda like "flare-ups" but HCL supplements have helped and as long as i eat slow & dont overeat im usually ok

just had a capsule endoscopy so it will be interesting to see if they find anything in the small intestine

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

It is highly unlikely IMHO that you have Chrons. It would have been found on the colonoscopy.

jasonD2 Experienced

But there are different types - could I maybe have an upper GI form of Crohn's?

jerseyangel Proficient

I do still suffer from upper GI discomfort after meals on occasion - they are kinda like "flare-ups"

Is this discomfort with fatty foods? If so, you might want to ask your doctor about checking your gallbladder.

burdee Enthusiast

My colonoscopy was negative and my endoscopy was as well. I did have duodenitis last year but the biopsy for that was negative.

Also my inflammation markers on my stool test were normal and never had blood in my stool; never have diarrhea - mostly constipation. also never have loss of appetite, fever and i think my weight loss is attributable more to my bacterial overgrowth than anything else.

I do still suffer from upper GI discomfort after meals on occasion - they are kinda like "flare-ups" but HCL supplements have helped and as long as i eat slow & dont overeat im usually ok

just had a capsule endoscopy so it will be interesting to see if they find anything in the small intestine

If you still have inflammation after you treat and eliminate your hookworm parasite and your Klebsiella and Enterobacter Cloacae bacterial (overgrowth) infections, then you might consider crohn's as the cause of your inflammation. However, as long as you have gut bug infections, those will cause intestinal and digestive problems.

I suspect all my gut bug infections came from hypochloridia (low stomach acid production), which allowed food born bugs to travel through my stomach to my intestines. Normal stomach acid should kill off those bugs, but without adequate acid, my 'bugs' overwhelmed my intestines and proliferated.

jasonD2 Experienced

been there done that

cassP Contributor

i would think Crohns, Colitis, and Diverticulitis would all show up on colonoscopy.

your "signature" says your endoscopy was negative after being strict gluten free- that would make it inconclusive.

and negative blood tests are common too

you're having all these issues, and you do have dq8- so i would assume you're at least gluten sensitive.

i wouldnt give up on Celiac being the culprit.... and also- maybe gall bladder issues, pancreas, and hiatal hernia, and Hypoclorhidia could ALL BE possibilities in your upper gastro issues.

good luck jason :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Here are the symptoms for Chrons from Mayo Clinic since you don't have D or the other major symptoms I think it highly unlikely you have Chrons. The capsule endo will tell you for sure though.

Open Original Shared Link

■Diarrhea. The inflammation that occurs in Crohn's disease causes cells in the affected areas of your intestine to secrete large amounts of water and salt. Because the colon can't completely absorb this excess fluid, you develop diarrhea. Intensified intestinal cramping also can contribute to loose stools. Diarrhea is the most common problem for people with Crohn's.

■Abdominal pain and cramping. Inflammation and ulceration may cause the walls of portions of your bowel to swell and eventually thicken with scar tissue. This affects the normal movement of contents through your digestive tract and may lead to pain and cramping. Mild Crohn's disease usually causes slight to moderate intestinal discomfort, but in more-serious cases, the pain may be severe and include nausea and vomiting.

■Blood in your stool. Food moving through your digestive tract may cause inflamed tissue to bleed, or your bowel may also bleed on its own. You might notice bright red blood in the toilet bowl or darker blood mixed with your stool. You can also have bleeding you don't see (occult blood).

■Ulcers. Crohn's disease can cause small sores on the surface of the intestine that eventually become large ulcers that penetrate deep into

jasonD2 Experienced

definitely never had no appetite - always hungry. never any cramping or diarrhea

jasonD2 Experienced

pancreatic output normal, no hiatal hernia and GB was fine- something else goin down

ravenwoodglass Mentor

definitely never had no appetite - always hungry. never any cramping or diarrhea

That's good and that combined with having constipation and not Diarrhea should make you feel better about the possibility of Chrons. I hope the capsule endo has some answers for you. I think I remember you saying that HCL helped a bit, are you still taking it?

gf-soph Apprentice

It's good that you've had the capsule endoscopy as that will be able to tell you for sure, but from what you've said it seems unlikely. You don't really meet the symptom profile at all.

I was evaluated for it due to long standing iron problems and continuing GI problems, mostly D with some pretty severe pain. My gi problems were at the less severe end of the scale than they would expect from crohn's, but they suspected it may be early stage because of my inability to keep iron in my system.

They were only able to do regular endoscopy and a colonoscopy, but they were satisfied that I didn't have it based on those tests. It's a pretty nasty disease so I was happy not to have it, for me I still have the iron problems but the gi issues have calmed remarkably on an elimination diet, so that's my answer.

Hope it all comes back clear and you can cross it off your list.

Archived