This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hot Chocolate

precious831

precious831 Contributor

Does anyone have a good dairy-soy-gluten-free hot chocolate recipe/mix? Last night I bought this thing called Milk Mixers, it has no dairy but it has soy lecithin. Not sure if I'm reacting to it, I was fine with soy lecithin before. Anyway, it doesn't matter because I don't like the taste at all. It has a metallic aftertaste. I tried it just w/ plain hot water. I also tried it with hemp milk....same thing. Yucky metallic aftertaste.

It's getting colder and I'd really, really, really love some decent hot chocolate! I miss Godiva and Starbucks hot chocolate. The Godiva one is not gluten-free/DF and the SB one they use soy milk if not with real milk.

Thanks!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac-mommy Collaborator

This is the one I make every night. It's super rich and creamy!!!

In a mug, pour a few TBS of boiling water (to help dissolve the cocoa)

Add:

1 heaping TBS cocoa powder

1 TBS agave nectar or honey

Stir well to dissolve the cocoa powder

Add:

Fill the rest of the cup with Silk almond milk (this is the thickest, richest) or SoDelicious Coconut milk

Microwave on high for 2 min, stir and be blissful :)

sb2178 Enthusiast

Ditto that, but double the cocoa powder and decrease the agave. I've used soy, coconut, and hazelnut faux milks. Alkalized (dutch cocoa) is a but smoother.

precious831 Contributor

Add:

Add:

Fill the rest of the cup with Silk almond milk (this is the thickest, richest) or SoDelicious Coconut milk

Thank you! What brand of cocoa powder do you buy? I drink almond milk but I get Pacific Foods because it's the only that I know that doesn't use sunflower oil(For the Vit.D). My daughter is allergic to sunflower. Allergic to coconut too.

celiac-mommy Collaborator

Thank you! What brand of cocoa powder do you buy? I drink almond milk but I get Pacific Foods because it's the only that I know that doesn't use sunflower oil(For the Vit.D). My daughter is allergic to sunflower. Allergic to coconut too.

Whatever is cheapest--Nestle, Hershey or Saco. Ghiradelli if I feel like splurging :)

I don't like mine super sweet, so the ratios I listed for mine are great for me, but try it out and see what concentrations work for you. My recipe makes about a 16oz mug worth for about 150 calories!

Skylark Collaborator

Add:

Add:

I do this too. I haven't bought hot chocolate mix in ages because it's so much better homemade. Moistening the cocoa powder with a little boiling water is really important. Otherwise it doesn't dissolve smoothly into the milk. You can also melt grated Baker's chocolate in a little boiling water if you have that around. I usually sweeten mine with Splenda. I also tend to use more cocoa powder like sb2178. That's part of why I stopped using mixes. They were too sweet and not nearly enough chocoloate!

precious831 Contributor

I don't like mine really sweet either, I want it to be more chocolatey. I'll check on the brands listed, hopefully they don't have soy lecithin in them.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

I don't like mine really sweet either, I want it to be more chocolatey. I'll check on the brands listed, hopefully they don't have soy lecithin in them.

Thanks!

I just bought Hershey's Cocoa (natural, unsweetened) and the Ingredients: COCOA! Surprise, huh? I'm not used to reading one-ingredient labels. cool.gif

Skylark Collaborator

Thanks!

LOL! No worries. Cocoa powder is what's left of the cocoa beans the cocoa butter is pressed out. Hershey's cocoa powder is a one-ingredient item and all mine says on the label is "cocoa". Unsweetened Baker's chocolate is the same, only they leave quite a bit more cocoa butter in. The cocoa butter makes things with Baker's chocolate taste richer than cocoa powder. You have to take the extra time to grate Baker's chocolate but it makes awfully good hot cocoa. B)

bridgetm Enthusiast

I'm heading up to the North Shore in two weeks; I think I'll stock up on tins of cocoa powder. I'd rather not call all the mom-and-pop coffee shops up there to check on their brands and dairy-free offerings. Sitting on the rocks watching the waves roll in is awesome, but is much more fun with a hot drink (I quit coffee and have learned to avoid all but herbal teas).

There used to be a small lounge in one of the buildings on campus where they kept a family sized tin of Swiss Miss cocoa powder and a kettle of water. It was one of those "Help yourself but toss us a quarter if you've got it" kind of deals. After walking to class through the snow and slush I would wander in there and leave with a cup of cocoa with an almost equal powder-to-water ratio, with small clumps of undissolved powder on the top. That sounds disgusting any other time but it always got me through that afternoon class. In the spring I was forced to read the label... soy lecithin. That made me kick the habit.

precious831 Contributor

I just bought Hershey's Cocoa (natural, unsweetened) and the Ingredients: COCOA! Surprise, huh? I'm not used to reading one-ingredient labels. cool.gif

I looked over and over for this the other day and can't find it. Isn't in in square tin can? Nice to know it's got only 1 ingredient. Yay!

precious831 Contributor

LOL! No worries. Cocoa powder is what's left of the cocoa beans the cocoa butter is pressed out. Hershey's cocoa powder is a one-ingredient item and all mine says on the label is "cocoa". Unsweetened Baker's chocolate is the same, only they leave quite a bit more cocoa butter in. The cocoa butter makes things with Baker's chocolate taste richer than cocoa powder. You have to take the extra time to grate Baker's chocolate but it makes awfully good hot cocoa. B)

What kind/brand of baker's chocolate do you get? I don't mind shaving it if that will make it taste better.

Skylark Collaborator

What kind/brand of baker's chocolate do you get? I don't mind shaving it if that will make it taste better.

Baker's is the brand name. :) For the pure chocolate with no additives, you want the unsweetened chocolate. It's usually in the baking section of the grocery store and the box is brown and orange. Be careful you don't get anything but the unsweetened, because the bittersweet and semi-sweet will probably have soy lecithin.

Juliebove Rising Star

We use the Vance's Dari Free. Only problem is that it doesn't really mix in super well. But daughter likes it.

sa1937 Community Regular

I looked over and over for this the other day and can't find it. Isn't in in square tin can? Nice to know it's got only 1 ingredient. Yay!

It's actually in a dark brown rectangular can and you can find it in the baking section of most every grocery store. I picked up mine at Wal-Mart.

Archived