This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Explaining To Husbands Grandparents

K8ling

K8ling Enthusiast

My inlaws and husbands grandparents came to visit yesterday, and we started talking about the food issue. Husbands grandmother says "Oh! My sister has a gluten intolerance! When we have pizza she just takes the toppings off and eats them alone".

Oh goodness. I had to explain the difference between Celiac Disease and Gluten Intolerance....then how cross contamination can (and HAS) made me VERY sick.

We're going to their house for Christmas this year...um...this is going to be interesting!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MelindaLee Contributor

My inlaws and husbands grandparents came to visit yesterday, and we started talking about the food issue. Husbands grandmother says "Oh! My sister has a gluten intolerance! When we have pizza she just takes the toppings off and eats them alone".

Oh goodness. I had to explain the difference between Celiac Disease and Gluten Intolerance....then how cross contamination can (and HAS) made me VERY sick.

We're going to their house for Christmas this year...um...this is going to be interesting!

I empathize with you. I have been fortunate as my family has been supportive, though need regular education. I have always been one to volunteer to bring food to family events, so I will plan to keep doing the same...except now it will be gluten-free. My DS has been gluten-free for a while, so he appreciates it as well. :D

anabananakins Explorer

Ohhh,she's giving gluten intolerance a bad name! I test negative to celiac but I get really sick if I get contaminated. I feel rotten right now and I can't even work out what got me :(

K8ling Enthusiast

yeah I almost fell over out of shock. No WAY I could eat the stuff the great Aunt does!!

srall Contributor

Ohhh,she's giving gluten intolerance a bad name! I test negative to celiac but I get really sick if I get contaminated. I feel rotten right now and I can't even work out what got me :(

I guess technically I'm gluten intolerant since I'm self diagnosed. But I get sick very easily from cc or other offending foods. Ate out last night...paying today. I guess gluten intolerance is on a continuum. I could never take the meat off a sandwich and not get sick. And pizza topping is out of the question since I can't have dairy. I guess as long as your husband can control what goes in his body he doesn't have to worry too much about educating his family.

srall Contributor

Oh and K8ling, I'd pack your own food when you go!

Rowena Rising Star

Oh dear. This reminds me of day 3 of being gluten free when my mom tried to convince me pie was okay. My families are supportive of me in this diet, but yeah people certainly need to be educated about what celiac disease/ gluten intolerance is. It sounds to me like your great-aunt is doing a "gluten-free" diet as if doing the fad diet, if that. But not to judge. I think people just don't understand how serious it can be, and cc is a horrid thing even for a gluten-intolerant.

But I know now that my family needs to be HIGHLY trained in cc courses. Like for heaven's sake, if it touches something gluteny then I can't eat it. And besides, I'm sure that the pumpkin filling my mom uses has gluten in it or has a risk of CC. So even if it were possible for me to eat everything but the crust, it wouldn't work.

I say bring your own food to that Christmas party. I'm gonna have to do that for my family, that's for sure. *is suddenly reminded of something* Dang no rolling or eating my favorite canneloni! Or stollen. Those are my favorite parts of christmas.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MelindaLee Contributor

*is suddenly reminded of something* Dang no rolling or eating my favorite canneloni! Or stollen. Those are my favorite parts of christmas.

It seems to me....when looking through gluten-free cook books yesterday....I saw a recipie for canneloni. I checked the book I bought, and it's not in there....maybe try googling a gluten-free recipie. :o

Rowena Rising Star

It seems to me....when looking through gluten-free cook books yesterday....I saw a recipie for canneloni. I checked the book I bought, and it's not in there....maybe try googling a gluten-free recipie. :o

maybe I will do that, or I will still my mom's recipe and make it safe to eat. I am awesome with experimenting so I am sure I could come up with a good alternative. Did that very thing with my cookies today....

anabananakins Explorer

I guess technically I'm gluten intolerant since I'm self diagnosed. But I get sick very easily from cc or other offending foods. Ate out last night...paying today. I guess gluten intolerance is on a continuum. I could never take the meat off a sandwich and not get sick. And pizza topping is out of the question since I can't have dairy. I guess as long as your husband can control what goes in his body he doesn't have to worry too much about educating his family.

On a continuum is a good way of describing it. I couldn't do those things either, but apparently, I don't have it to the degree of it being an autoimmune disease. Though my balance has been shot lately, I'm getting glutened over and over on my trip so glluten intolerance is worse than just gastro stuff. So yes, a continuum!

lynnelise Apprentice

At my nephew's party they served Subway sandwiches and my mother-in-law was trying to get me to pick the meat and cheese off. She just couldn't understand that it still wasn't safe.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I always suspect that people like the great aunt are getting quite a bit more gluten than they think and that if they were to totally eliminate it for a bit and then try picking the toppings of the pizza they would react like you or I do.

Archived