This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Had My Endoscopy Yesterday....

kpryan

kpryan Apprentice

So I had my endoscopy yesterday after a 1 month gluten challenge. I know that many argue that 1 month is not long enough (I was gluten free for about 1 year to 18 months).

The biopies won't come back for 1 week. He also took biopsies for H pylori. The immediate endoscopy results were:

- Z-line irregular

- Small hiatal hernia present

- Gastritis (localized mild inflammation was found in the gastric antrum)

My doc thinks that I most likely just have reflux since the Nexium seemed to have resolved my bathroom issues. Although my chief complaint of bad abdominal bloating remains.

I guess we'll see when the biopsies come back, but I have a feeling that they'll be negative. Blood work has yet to come back either.

Yesterday was the first day in a month I didn't eat gluten, and my husband already said that i looked better ( less bloating...)

I asked if reflux caused bloating and he said not usually...and since I dont' really have heartburn...I'm still confused...

Not that i am wishing a disease on myself, but i just want a concrete answer...which i may have to realize i may not get.

So I'm going back off gluten now to see if that helps... but still had excessive bloating before when I was gluten-free..so hopefully some answer will pop up in the biopsies.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

Well, nobody "just has reflux". There has to be a cause, just as there is for the bloating, and any other symptom. And I absolutely agree that if you don't have heartburn, then you don't need heartburn medication. So I think your confusion is basically the result of the doctor's ignorance. Sorry, but I do believe you should seek a more informed doctor.

It would not be surprising if the test results come back negative. Many do, as you probably know.

For the bloating, I've found certain supplements to be helpful. Which are most likely suited may depend on the nature of those "bathroom issues" you eluded to. But one I'd immediately recommend is some digestive enzymes. Make sure they're derived from microbes, as these can withstand the normal acidity of the stomach. This also avoids the ones derived from barley (even though they usually claim gluten-free!). Both NOW Foods and Doctor's Best make some nicely comprehensive formulas, going much further than the typical sort.

Another thing to look into is additional food intolerances. Many find that eliminating other problem foods resolves bloating and other issues. Things like soy, dairy, corn, eggs, tree nuts, peanuts, and grains, have all been known to be similarly problematic for many people.

SGWhiskers Collaborator

Heartburn is one of the symptoms of reflux. Reflux can exist without heartburn though. As the stomach contents flow back into the esophageus, the esophageus can have damage at the cellular level. PPI's have been found to be the most effective means of controlling reflux. Now with that said, there are lots of ways to manage reflux without medications and their side effects. I agree, looking for the cause is a great approach. I was able to eliminate my reflux symptoms (no heartburn) buy avoiding my food triggers.

Highly acidic foods such as tomatoes and orange juice can be triggers. So can consuming beverages at the same time or immediately after meals.

You already know that even with a negative biopsy/bloodwork after so long gluten free with a short challenge, you may still have celiac. You may also have to go hunting for other possible food triggers for the bloating. I assume it is GI bloat vs. edema.

I'm curious about the reason for your gastritis. I had the same diagnosis on my biopsy, and no one ever gave me a good explaination except to say it might have been medications I was taking.

Jaymie Jaymz Rookie
So I'm going back off gluten now to see if that helps... but still had excessive bloating before when I was gluten-free..so hopefully some answer will pop up in the biopsies.

I've been gluten free for three weeks now and intitially my bloating got much better, but just this last week it's gotten bad again. I think it may be fructose malabsorption. I did without fruits and fructose-heavy foods yesterday and my stomach's already gone down considerably. I'm going to try it again today and see what happens. But it might be something you can experiment with. In all honesty, I hate the bloating above every other symptom.

I did intense exercise for five months straight and busted my butt, only to still have that pregnant look with my stomach. That's when I started researching and came across Celiac Disease. Until I figure all of this out, I'm just done with the workouts.

kpryan Apprentice

I hear you... I definitely hate the bloating most of all.

I too had looked into fructose mal....it was so frustrating though b/c that cuts out a lot!

I was even thinking that my abdominals were just really out of whack after having 2 kids so I really amped up my ab workouts...but the bloating is just not normal.

I've been gluten free for three weeks now and intitially my bloating got much better, but just this last week it's gotten bad again. I think it may be fructose malabsorption. I did without fruits and fructose-heavy foods yesterday and my stomach's already gone down considerably. I'm going to try it again today and see what happens. But it might be something you can experiment with. In all honesty, I hate the bloating above every other symptom.

I did intense exercise for five months straight and busted my butt, only to still have that pregnant look with my stomach. That's when I started researching and came across Celiac Disease. Until I figure all of this out, I'm just done with the workouts.

Archived