Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Roda

Generic Liquid Ranitidine

I should know better than to go to the pharmacy on a weekend but it was the first chance I had to go pick up the rx. I asked to see what the inactive ingredients were. I was told there wasn't anything to see by the clerk. I quickly reminded her that it should be listed on the package insert. After much to do the pharmacist tells me they don't list them on the insert. I told him yes they do that I want to see it because it needs to be gluten free. He then told me it is pretty much water and sugar and flavor and that he could say 95% that it was probably alright. I told him no offence but I wasn't taking his word about it. He finaly gave me the insert and I quickly pointed out on it where the ingredient list was and showed him. He gets into a discussion that no company can guarantee gluten free. I said I understand that but at least by contacting them myself I can get the information I need and make an informed decision. I tried to call the company which it is manufactured by Bio-Pharm, Inc. in Levittown, Pa and manufactured for Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Limited. I wasn't sure about it so I didn't get it. I'm pretty stoked that I was able to find the ingredient list after he said there wasn't one :angry:

Here are the inactive ingredients: 7.5% alcohol, butylparaben, dibasicsodium phosphate, hypromellose, monobasic potassium phosphate, natural & artificial mint flavor, proplparaben, purified water, saccharin sodium, sodium chloride, and sorbitol solution. The one underlined is the ingredient I wasn't sure about. What do you all think? Should I hold off getting it or try and see if I can get them to prescribe the zantac efferdose tablet which appears fine as I have taken the brand name tablets?

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I would call and ask the company on monday to be on the safe side. Sorbital while not a gluten issue can be a problem also for some of us. Maybe until then would Pepto Bismal liquid perhaps help a bit?

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

hmmm how about switching pharmacies? My regular pharmcist here in town did the same thing to me - tried to tell me that there was no reason for companies to put gluten in medication etc ect. What a battle. While traveling this summer and in Oregon I found a pharmcist that spent a lot of time helping me figure out which medication would be safe.

I was just recently diagnosed and my pharmacist was very accommodating about checking all my meds for gluten.. He called me back in 20 min and asked if I had a problem with corn and I said no. He said good because some of mine have corn starch in them.. Now that took him a total of 10-15 min he said and he was very happy to do it for me. I get my meds at Target pharmacy. Super nice people here in Green Bay, WI.

I think you should switch pharmacies because I was told it was an easy check... :angry: mad face because some people in the professional/customer service industry are just plain lazy!!!

*Judy
Food allergies to fish, seafood, tree nuts, aspartame(Equal),flax seed, and many drugs RE-TESTED ALL FOOD ALLERGIES IN JUNE 2015 AND THEY ARE ALL NEGATIVE NOW!  TIME TO RE-INTRODUCE FISH AND NUTS!!! 
Stomach issues since childhood
Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) age 6-44
Diabetes age 44 to present now going back to Hypoglycemia since gluten free.
Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2005 and it's gone now that I'm aspartame and gluten free. c
Celiac disease- negative test in 2009, positive tests in Nov. 2010
Gluten free started 11/08/2010
Genetic tests positive- DQ2, positive -DQ6 (?) negative- DQ8 11/15/2010 

Hyperthyroid 2013 - benign tumors and entire thyroid removed

If I was that pharmacist I would have been a little embarrassed since he obviously didn't know what he was talking about. I may look at one of the local mom and pop pharmacies in town. I know one of the reps there and they are one of the only pharmacies in town that still will do compounding. I'll look into it. I had similar problems at Wallgreens and quit going there and switched to CVS. My mail order pharmacy seems to do a pretty good job, but I still call to comfirm every refill just in case. He isn't going to be on this more than about a month so I don't need to do the mail order pharmacy which does three months supply at a time.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

I did try and call the manufacturer and I have yet to recieve any information. I also called the manufacturer of zantac and inquired about their products. I was told that they couldn't verify the liquid but all other products there were not gluten containing ingredients. So looks like liquid medicine probably is out. I'll call the drs office next day their open and let them know. I might just skip it all together and just stick with the diet alone. He has been gluten free since Friday and he seems to be doing allright. There has been some sad emotions on his part but that is expected. I've made him a big part in the change by taking him shopping and helping by picking out what he wants for lunch and of course he loves to help me in the kitchen.

Me:

DS2(age 9):

DS1(age 13):