• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Monklady123

Need Recipe For A Bread That Could Be Dunked In Liquid....

Rate this topic

Weird request, I know. lol.. But I'm so new at this, and am SO not a baker or cook, and I know a lot of you know a whole lot more than I do. I'm looking for a bread that could be used for communion at church that could be dunked (briefly) in the juice/wine without falling to mush immediately. Sometimes we do communion in the pews, with bread already cut up and small cups of juice. But other times we come up front and every breaks off a piece of bread and dunks it into the chalice of juice.

So I'm looking for something for those dunking days. I tried one recipe that a minister gave me -- it's a sweet bread, and comes out looking like pita bread. It had potential but I don't know...I thought it was pretty awful actually. I might try that one again and leave out the honey -- maybe it would taste more like regular bread.

Obviously bread like Udi's is out -- too light and I know it disintegrates immediately in liquid because I had some that got wet accidentally. :blink:

And, I'm not sure I'm looking to replace the regular bread, so it doesn't have to be something that "tears" easily. This would be just for me, on the communion table for me to take when I get up there.

Also, if I could put one more "rule" on the recipe I'm looking for -- please no odd flours. Has to contain something I can buy easily (at Whole Foods, for instance).

Any ideas from those of you who have done lots more baking that I have? Thanks very much!

Unfortunately, that characteristic is what gluten provides. There isn't yet an ideal substitute. However, defatted corn protein may fit the bill in the future, hopefully! Perhaps try making a cracker from rice flour--may serve the purpose and not fall apart.

http://mobile.foodnavigator-usa.com//Science-Nutrition/Corn-protein-a-step-toward-holy-grail-for-gluten-free-bread-say-researchers

What if you lightly toasted it first? That's what did for dunking in cheese fondue.

Well, the thing is....the recipe that I tried was okay for dunking. It was very dense, almost like "real" pita bread. That's why I thought I'd try it again and leave out the honey so it wouldn't be sweet. Maybe it was the combination of that texture with the sweetness that I didn't like.

If I were home I'd post the recipe, but at the moment I'm killing time in the church office while my dd babysits for a class we have on Sunday afternoon.

If I could solve this communion problem I'd be very happy. :)

eta: toasting... hmm... I didn't think of that. Worth a try. I'll just have to make the *supreme* sacrifice of testing some this evening with a glass of wine, once I get home. ;)

Well, the thing is....the recipe that I tried was okay for dunking. It was very dense, almost like "real" pita bread. That's why I thought I'd try it again and leave out the honey so it wouldn't be sweet. Maybe it was the combination of that texture with the sweetness that I didn't like.

If I were home I'd post the recipe, but at the moment I'm killing time in the church office while my dd babysits for a class we have on Sunday afternoon.

If I could solve this communion problem I'd be very happy. :)

eta: toasting... hmm... I didn't think of that. Worth a try. I'll just have to make the *supreme* sacrifice of testing some this evening with a glass of wine, once I get home. ;)

For the fondue, I sliced bread, put olive oil on both sides and toasted it in the oven. Could sprinkle with a little garlic powder or roasted garlic and some Parm to go with second glass.

I would actually be interested to know this too, not for communion but for other types of sandwiches I have been craving lately. I used to love to make a French dip or homemade philly cheese steak with au juice for dipping. Last week I had leftover meatloaf and tried to do a meatlof sandwich on Udi's. The bread disinigrated and fell apart when the tomato sauce from the meatloaf touched it. I ended up eating it with a fork. That was when I realized I will never be able to make a meatball sandwich or anything with much dressing/sauce out of Udi's. So I was actually wondering about this myself recently. Let us know if you come up with a good recipe.

Does your communion bread need to be unleavened, meaning no yeast or rising agent?

No, any bread will do. Leavened, unleavened... flat, not-flat, small rolls, large loaf... we're totally flexible on that.

Hmm...Have you tried Chebe? I've only had their pizza crust but it's so dense I don't think it would disinigrate. They also have a bread mix: http://www.chebe.com/ Not sure it would tear really well because the pizza crust is sort of chewy, but perhaps you could just make small enough peices that you could dip the whole piece or cut it with a knife first.

Hmm...Have you tried Chebe? I've only had their pizza crust but it's so dense I don't think it would disinigrate. They also have a bread mix: http://www.chebe.com/ Not sure it would tear really well because the pizza crust is sort of chewy, but perhaps you could just make small enough peices that you could dip the whole piece or cut it with a knife first.

No, I haven't tried Chebe yet. But I just ordered some from Amazon and it should be here this week! I was thinking that some sort of pizza crust might work. It doesn't have to tear because it's just going to be for me.

No, I haven't tried Chebe yet. But I just ordered some from Amazon and it should be here this week! I was thinking that some sort of pizza crust might work. It doesn't have to tear because it's just going to be for me.

We have gotten the Chebe bread stick mix. Yummy. Probably dense enough. We also got a pizza dough mix of theirs that was good and might work.