Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GAD.. AKA unsure....

Super Foods!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I can't recommend one specific food to help you feel good. What I can suggest is eliminating foods that make you feel bad (there's more than just gluten that's a problem for me) and eat as much fresh, unprocessed foods as possible, preferrably organic when feasible/available. I don't necessarily believe in "super foods" as I think all natural foods supply vital nutrients. I think it's more important to focus on what not to eat (processed, high-sugar food).

2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)

2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life

From what I can gather Marmite is made from brewers yeast and is not safe for celiacs. Am I right??

http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/marmite.htm

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

I like fresh or steamed fruits and veggies. Those tend to agree with the most people here, and they're definitely a healthy way to go if you can't think of what else to do. For protein add tofu (if soy is OK) or beans or meats (chicken breasts are easy to find and use). For flavor try a curry or even just salt, pepper, and olive oil.

Rice tends to be easy on the stomach for most of us, so that's a safe way to go if you're not sure what to do for a carb. Brown rice is better for you than white, and there are lots of other grains (quinoa, amaranth, etc) that you can try as you go.

Yeast that you use for making bread rise is gluten-free. Brewer's yeast is something different -- I think it's like "dead" yeast and has barley in it, or is processed with barley.

edited to add that if Marmite is a "godsend for celiacs" then I'm in big trouble. I tried it once and was :o:blink::o:blink::ph34r: :ph34r:

I also don't believe in "Superfoods"-- that's all marketing. There's no reason to select blueberries over apples as long as you get a variety of produce into your mouth, daily. Lots of colors. Lean meats/poultry, fatty fish, good fats (avocado, olives, nuts/seeds, fish, flaxseed), eggs/dairy only if you tolerate them.

A handy rule of thumb is to eat 10+ plants per day. So, think almonds, apple and raisins with breakfast; carrots, spinach, avocado, and red pepper with lunch; broccoli, potato, and blueberries with supper. Orange, green, red, blue...

When you're first healing, it may be helpful to lean more toward cooked foods as they are generally easier to digest for people. If I had to pick one food people should eat more of, though, it would be kale or chinese broccoli.

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable

3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG

4/2010 Negative biopsy

5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)

5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

From what I can gather Marmite is made from brewers yeast and is not safe for celiacs. Am I right??

http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/marmite.htm

No, Marmite is gluten-free. It is a Unilever product and, as such, will clearly disclose any source of gluten in the ingredient list. The ingredients on the site linked to are:

Yeast Extract

Salt

Vegetable Extract

Vitamin: Niacin

Spices

Vitamins: B1, B2, Folic Acid, B12

none of which are listed as gluten grain sourced.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Hi everyone

New to the forum but looking to learn fast!

Can you suggest 1 or 2 foods that make you feel great!

Am I right i thinking Marmite is a godsend for Celiacs?

If so drinking Marmite must be a super food!

If you can tolerate fruit:

Young Coconut (Thai Coconuts) make me feel like a million bucks. I will make a smoothie out them or drink them straight. Add a half a mango and a half a banana, all the meat to the coconut (no a reg brown coconut doesn't have the same effect) and all the liquid - blend and enjoy!

Also try this one: fresh pineapple combined with fresh papaya, a 1/8 tsp of cayenne pepper, and some lime juice with some agave sweetener to smooth it out. These fruits have enzymes that aid in digestion and make my stomach feel good again....

Also I enjoy adding Spirulina (sp?) to everything I can. I really get a nice energy boost from it.