This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help Understanding The Time Frame Of A Milk Reaction

twinkle-toez

twinkle-toez Apprentice

Hi Guys,

I've posted on here before - mostly asking questions about neurological issues and the like. I'm a female 26 year old female, and I discovered that I have a problem with gluten this past summer. Aside from a few accidental ingestions (shudder)I've been gluten free since July 2010. At that point I also eliminated dairy, soy, and corn and added meat back into my diet (was formerly a vegetarian). Basically I adopted more of a 'paleolithic' type diet.

I have an eating disorder (anorexia), which I had worked very hard to beat into remission. This past fall I had major surgery (not related to the eating disorder), which I had a difficult time recovering from (lost about 10% of my body weight during that period, most of which I was able to regain). I also am a bit of a workaholic, so when I was accused of not working hard enough at work, I ramped up the pace and drove myself into the ground - I lost 10% of my body weight in 2 weeks time, not through restriction per se, but simply b/c I have a high metabolism and I just couldn't feed it enough to compensate for the calories I was expending. To stop the weight loss I got a bit slack with my diet - mostly I started allowing dairy, usually in the form of ice cream or milk chocolate (I made sure both were always gluten free). What I've noticed is that immediately after ingestion of dairy, my stomach hurts, I start feeling bloated (and become visibly distended in the abdominal region - pointed out actually by my fiance, so it's not simply my distorted body image coming into play) and am horribly gassy. I also go quite pale.

I understand that my GI tract is possibly still damaged, thus affecting my digestion. What I'm confused by is the timeline for the reaction - why immediately after eating? If it's a lactose problem, I would expect a bit of delay until the food can reach the small intestine (where the lactase enzyme is found). I suppose if it's a casein-based reaction it could start sooner, since protein digestion does begin to occur in the stomach, but it is my understanding that the gas-producing bacteria reside within the large intestine... Can anyone clarify the time frame for the reaction?

One last question - does anyone else who has a problem with dairy find that it's worse if you consume a fatty food with it (I love nut butters, but when I eat them in combination with milk, they just sit in my stomach and seem to refuse to digest - I'm still burping nut butter a good 12 hours (sometimes more) after ingestion, and to me this seems a bit weird. Sorry if that was tmi.

Sorry for the long-rambly post :S

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

I have a casein allergy to cow's milk. I get that same stomach pain. I also get other symptoms-skin, nasal and GI that can show up right away or show up over the coarse of a week. I have learned the hard way that many food allergens can cause GI problems. It is also possible to hvae both lactose intolerance and milk allergy. Maybe this link will help. Open Original Shared Link

cassP Contributor

oh Twinkle Toez... wow u just ended your post about nut butters- let me just tell u, its very strange because im getting a brand new issue with them :(

i caNNOT tolerate peanuts (and many legumes)... so ive always substituted with almond butter & sunflower seed butter. never had a problem, and then the past few months when i go to eat my almond butter- my stomach feels a little upset- and then ill BURP it for hours later! it's awful, and im not sure if it's the palm oil in my brand? i just dont know- but maybe you're having an issue with your nut butter like me, it may have nothing to do with the combo.??

and Dairy: years ago, when i was eating a HEAVILY gluten diet- i became very lactose intolerant- and it would happen immediately! i would want to run to the bathroom with "D"... maybe the milk passes thru your stomach so quick to the S.I.?? or maybe your body knows that its coming... idk, but it was immediate for me.

now- after being gluten free for 6 months... im usually fine with a LITTLE milk... but it may give me a little "D" the following day

Looking for answers Contributor

I have the same issue as well, not so much with yogurt though. However, I completely eliminated dairy because when I eat it, about two or three days later my face breaks out something fierce. It's very attractive with the bloated belly and gas that also come with it, let me tell you. I'd like my husband to remain attracted to me, so it's not part of the rotation any longer. :P BTW, since going gluten free I also have an intolerance to nuts...they cause awful gas, swollen eyes, etc.

mommida Enthusiast

If you have lost 10% of your body weight, you are putting a lost of stress on your gallbladder.

The burping and having difficulty with high fat foods is a possible symptom. If you fit into the Female, Fair, Fertile Forty age bracket you are in a higher risk group too. Are you having any pain in your right side, lower rib cage area?

The time frame for a reaction to milk? Well that is really hard to answer... What is the reaction to? casein? lactose? lactase? What type of reaction is happening?

If it is an intolerance, the body will try and flush it pretty quickly. vomit/ "D"

It can be an "allergy" that can show up on various testing. Possibly causing anaphalasis shock.

Is it an auto-immune "trigger" for an eosinophilic reaction? That can stay active without further stimuli for 12 days.

Rates for digestion vary by amount of food intake, amount of liquid, and amount of activity of the body (including temperature rates of the environment the individual is exposed to).

Archived