This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Weird Cholesterol Levels

DoogiePCT

DoogiePCT Apprentice

Hey guys-

I posted my story in a thread below. Long story short, I think I might have Celiac. I had my doc run my cholesterol check (being 23, he never ran it before) the results came back WEIRD and I'm scared....

HDL was 81

LDL was 41

VLDL was 11

Total cholesterol 133

Any idea what this could be?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

Don't worry. It's just another sign of celiac. Celiac can cause low cholesterol if you're not absorbing fats very well.

DoogiePCT Apprentice

But why would the HDL be so high?

Skylark Collaborator

I'm not sure the lipid profile is going to be completely normal when your total cholesterol is so low. HDL above 60 is considered good anyway, and your HDL:LDL ratio is below 3, which is also considered very healthy.

Jestgar Rising Star

Do you exercise?

Gemini Experienced

You may have partial villi damage, which means you are still able to absorb some fats. I wouldn't be worried about this at all....except as an indicator of possible Celiac. Your healthy cholesterol is excellent and your bad is low, which is great. My cholesterol still runs low overall, which at 51 years old, is about as good as it gets. The one number, the HDL, was dangerously low for me at time of dx but now is up to 60...still working on raising that.

Don't sweat an overall number of 133....many people would kill for those numbers without meds.

DoogiePCT Apprentice

Thanks so much! Load off my mind. I run about 50 miles a week.

I am currently undiagnosed with Celiac. I am strongly genetically positive (DQ2 and DQ8), even though no one in my family is diagnosed, but all serologic markers ( all IGA's, DGP's, and TtG's and EMA) were strongly, strongly negative as of last month.

I am a 23 year old male with a history of low body weight (5'10, 125) in spite of high (3000+ per day) caloric intake, and occasional headaches and gastric issues, and early childhood cancer (thyroid, which I forgot to mention in the last post) but other than that I feel great. I had a negative biopsy 2 years ago, and the GI would still like to run a Capsule endoscopy, which will happen this week or early next. I am aware that thyroid cancer is correlated with celiac, so even though the immediate response is serology and (2 year old) biopsy negative, no celiac, I feel the need to really push to figure this out.

You may have partial villi damage, which means you are still able to absorb some fats. I wouldn't be worried about this at all....except as an indicator of possible Celiac. Your healthy cholesterol is excellent and your bad is low, which is great. My cholesterol still runs low overall, which at 51 years old, is about as good as it gets. The one number, the HDL, was dangerously low for me at time of dx but now is up to 60...still working on raising that.

Don't sweat an overall number of 133....many people would kill for those numbers without meds.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roda Rising Star

A few years before I started with my symptoms I had my first cholererol pannel done and it was weird too. My HDL was low as was all the others. My triglyceride level was barely on the low end of the chart and a doctor commented to me that she had never seen one so low and that I was lucky. Fast forward a few years and I get my celiac diagnsis and I read somwhere that low cholesterol and triglycerides can be a sign of malabsorption. Just another piece of the puzzle missed early on. I had everything rechecked a year after diagnosis and it is normalizing. I still need to raise the HDL some more though.

Jestgar Rising Star

Thanks so much! Load off my mind. I run about 50 miles a week.

My boss runs marathons and his HDL is in the 100's. Makes me think the values they give as minimums are ridiculously low.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

A few years before I started with my symptoms I had my first cholererol pannel done and it was weird too. My HDL was low as was all the others. My triglyceride level was barely on the low end of the chart and a doctor commented to me that she had never seen one so low and that I was lucky. Fast forward a few years and I get my celiac diagnsis and I read somwhere that low cholesterol and triglycerides can be a sign of malabsorption. Just another piece of the puzzle missed early on. I had everything rechecked a year after diagnosis and it is normalizing. I still need to raise the HDL some more though.

Yea I had a doctor congratulate me for my really low numbers also. At the time I was eating mostly very fatty fried foods, lots of ice cream and butter etc. My cholesterol should have been through the roof. I also had lots of celiac symptoms at the time that were blown off as 'nerves'. If only doctors would look past the lab results and really listen to their patients maybe we could get diagnosed before we are half dead. GRRRRRR

frieze Community Regular

My HDL went up when i supplemented with Vit D. My Vitamin D level was only 49, so i have upped that again.....will see what the cholesterol is in a few months.

Roda Rising Star

I'm going for a complete check up with my NEW(she so get's celiac) pcp next month. I'm sure I'll be having things rechecked then. I've been taking Rx vitamin D 50,000 iu once a week for two years now.

Archived