cashman19

Weird Symptom-Swollen Ankles

Rate this topic

Greetings fellow Celiacs,

I was diagnosed on Jan 14th and been experiencing the swollen ankles, (and feeling a little puffy in general) as well? Is this a normal Celiac symptom? I feel I've been doing a good job adhering to the gluten-free diet, the only thing I've eaten that wasn't prepared by me was a baked potato at Wendy's but that was two weeks ago and I didn't seem to have any reaction to it. My feeling is that perhaps I was using too much salt in my food to make it taste better. So, I've cut down on the sodium considerably the last few days but no change in the swelling. I eat a lot of celery and carrots through the day and always have some fruit and I drink a good deal of water. Is this some sort of gluton reaction that I may be getting unknowingly?

I'm a newbiw to all this so thanks for any help and guidance you can give me.

-Cashman 19

Might need to watch for secondary intolerances as they show up shortly after going gluten free.

Soy oil and soy in the ingredients list makes me swell.

Secondary intolerances for Celiacs are usually dairy, casein, soy, corn, nightshades, and fructose.

Vitamin deficiencies can also cause swelling especially vitamin C and D.

Lack of adequate protein can also cause swelling.

Just some ideas.

Swollen ankles can be serious. I would let your doctor know. Water in the ankles can be due to circulatory issues such as with the heart. Have you checked your Blood Pressure?

Blood pressure is fine, but not happy about possible other food restrictions, but will definitely investigate. Thanks for your input.