This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Lost Muscle Mass/need Protein-Hemp Work?

IrishHeart

IrishHeart Veteran

I lost 90 lbs. rapidly from celiac disease and I lost my hair and major muscle mass. I look like a little old lady naked. UGH.

I am trying to regain some strength and I need more protein BUT I have to avoid dairy and soy and beans...that's a lot of protein sources to cut out....what can I do besides more meat/fish???

They are not appealing for breakfast and my appetite suffers anyway. It's getting better (6 weeks gluten-free)

Anyone use HEMP protein powder?? suggestions??

thanks!! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

When I'm in the U.S. I always use hemp protein powder (from Trader Joe's) in my smoothies in the morning. Can't get it here - govt. is paranoid about hemp :P I do not use it to gain weight cos goodness knows I don't need that. It is just a good protein source for me.

IrishHeart Veteran

When I'm in the U.S. I always use hemp protein powder (from Trader Joe's) in my smoothies in the morning. Can't get it here - govt. is paranoid about hemp :P I do not use it to gain weight cos goodness knows I don't need that. It is just a good protein source for me.

Thanks, "shroom"!!!...(hope that's okay-- giving you that nickname, cos that's what we call them in our house !!) LOL

I'm going to give it a try.

mushroom Proficient

You might as well call me Shroom, everyone else does, or Shroomie, or Shroomster. Heck, with one in one thousand pronouncing my real name correctly (outside of Italy), I answer to anything :D

IrishHeart Veteran

You might as well call me Shroom, everyone else does, or Shroomie, or Shroomster. Heck, with one in one thousand pronouncing my real name correctly (outside of Italy), I answer to anything :D

LOL...well, I taught English as a Second Language to students from around the world, so I have some practice in pronouncing beautiful, exotic names.!!..plus my Dad's family is Armenian---my last name was mangled all the time.... Thanks again --for your reply today and for so many others you have provided in my many posts. :)

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

If you can eat nuts, they are a good source of protein.

Hemp I have not tried yet. But I just placed a huge order through

NutsOnline and got some wonderful good quality nuts.

They have Certified Gluten Free products too which is really great!

I need more protein too and can't have eggs so decided it would be nuts for breakfast!

I notice they sell hemp at a reasonable price.

I might have to try it next time.

Good luck!

IrishHeart Veteran

If you can eat nuts, they are a good source of protein.

Hemp I have not tried yet. But I just placed a huge order through

NutsOnline and got some wonderful good quality nuts.

They have Certified Gluten Free products too which is really great!

I need more protein too and can't have eggs so decided it would be nuts for breakfast!

I notice they sell hemp at a reasonable price.

I might have to try it next time.

Good luck!

Hi Meat :)

Well, you are the 3rd person today to suggest more nuts, so I will "up" my nut intake! Oddly, I just placed an order to NUtsOnline for gluten-free flours! They came the next day! and they sent free treats, too. Seem like a good company!

I ordered some hemp protein from Amazon (Nutriva) before I knew that Nutsonline carried it. Well, I'll see how it goes with the hemp, nuts and less carbs/more protein (I had posted a second question about "feeling racy" and I am seeing now that the MORE PROTEIN theme seems to be the answer to both questions.)

I'll let you know how it works for me--and please, keep me posted on how you like the hemp!

Thanks for your suggestion!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenGladi8or Apprentice

I know that you already covered nuts, but not butter. Don't forget Almond Butter! It's packed with fiber, anti-oxidants, and protein.

Marries well with gluten-free bread, and apples (also in high fiber). Costco sells a club pack and you can find other jars at Whole Foods. Some even have small packs that resemble a ketchup pack -- and is mobile for easy travel.

Give almond butter a try!

IrishHeart Veteran

I know that you already covered nuts, but not butter. Don't forget Almond Butter! It's packed with fiber, anti-oxidants, and protein.

Marries well with gluten-free bread, and apples (also in high fiber). Costco sells a club pack and you can find other jars at Whole Foods. Some even have small packs that resemble a ketchup pack -- and is mobile for easy travel.

Give almond butter a try!

I LOVE almond butter!! I will do as you suggest--thanks, GlutenGladiator!

After I heal my gut, I may be asking your advice about building my muscles back up. Right now, I am loaded with nasty knots (trigger points) in my trapezius, SCMs, hell, just about everywhere... causing me serious pain and several PTs and a gym fitness coach told me NO weight training until I feel better and have no trigger points in my muscles. I tried some machines at the gym last year and made things worse. I was pretty ill with malabsorption for quite a while. All efforts to get rid of the trigger points have failed and I am in miserable 24/7 pain. I was told to just stretch, gentle yoga and walk for now. That's about all I can muster the energy for anyway.

Okay if I check you later for help??

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Nuts Online sells all the nut butters too!

Can you tell I like Nuts Online???

I love everything I got and am ordering more.

Glad you found them too Irish!

IrishHeart Veteran

Nuts Online sells all the nut butters too!

Can you tell I like Nuts Online???

I love everything I got and am ordering more.

Glad you found them too Irish!

(chuckling)...yeah, we got the flour and dates we ordered the next day. Hubby says the dates are "freakin yummy" LOL. Wish I had thought of the nuts/nut butters BEFORE, so I don't have to pay another large shipping fee...but hey, that's par for the course.sigh... My brain is not at full speed YET....LOL

I meant to ask....are you MEAT for good because you have gone Paleo? just wondering. if so, is it working for you? Hubby says that's what I should do, but I can't get myself to eat meat for breakfast...

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Well, I'm sorta Paleo.

I'd call it Paleo Plus.

The Plus is chocolate chip cookies or snickers. :D

Archived