This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Had My 6 Month Blood Test Check Up!

SaraKat

SaraKat Contributor

Hi All-

I was dx'd back at the end of August and started gluten-free 9/1. I had a blood test last week to check levels and I was shocked and how much they'd come down:

My TTG IGA used to be over 100, now it is 2.2 (with 4 being positive)

My Gliadin IGG was 131, now it is 51 (still positive at above 30, but lower than it was)

Gliadin IGA- this is the biggie- was over 400, now it is 15 with over 30 being positive

Endomysial AB was positive now is negative

Reticulin AB was always negative

So, my question is- what is with the IGG? Is that a super sensitive test? I know had a major slip up at the end of Dec with some Hershey's chocolate that was not gluten-free and I thought it was, I wonder if it is from that.

My Dr is giving me a full type 2 diabetes screening too, he said it is common to have that with people who have celiac (even if you are not obese). I am kind of nervous about that.

Just want to say thank you also, I could have never gotten my levels down that much without this website. I would look up everything on here before I ate it (along with googling stuff).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cassP Contributor

Hi All-

I was dx'd back at the end of August and started gluten-free 9/1. I had a blood test last week to check levels and I was shocked and how much they'd come down:

My TTG IGA used to be over 100, now it is 2.2 (with 4 being positive)

My Gliadin IGG was 131, now it is 51 (still positive at above 30, but lower than it was)

Gliadin IGA- this is the biggie- was over 400, now it is 15 with over 30 being positive

Endomysial AB was positive now is negative

Reticulin AB was always negative

So, my question is- what is with the IGG? Is that a super sensitive test? I know had a major slip up at the end of Dec with some Hershey's chocolate that was not gluten-free and I thought it was, I wonder if it is from that.

My Dr is giving me a full type 2 diabetes screening too, he said it is common to have that with people who have celiac (even if you are not obese). I am kind of nervous about that.

Just want to say thank you also, I could have never gotten my levels down that much without this website. I would look up everything on here before I ate it (along with googling stuff).

IGG is just another version of the IGA antibody... if someone is IGA deficient- they need to get the IGG versions of the tests to get an accurate result. but since both your IGA & IGG versions were similar and positive- it doesnt really matter. did that make sense?? it's likely from looking at your results- that your immune system is "normal" and is able to make both types of antibody reactions.

and you said that your doc mentioned Diabetes Type 2 being common in Celiac... i honestly have never heard that- i would think as long as you're eating right, gluten free, and are not obese- then you shouldnt worry about it at all!

now- some online info says that Diabetes Type 1 and Celiac are often happening in the same patient- but that REALLY DEPENDS on your genetic makeup... of course it is common for someone with Celiac to have at least 1 or 2 more autoimmune diseases... but if you dont have the genes for Diabetes 1-> then you would never get it...

also- know that it is possible to just have 1 autoimmune disease.

try not to stress!... does anyone else in your family have Diabetes?

Emilushka Contributor

IgG and IgA are both forms of antibodies. IgA antibodies are found in mucosal surfaces (like your gut wall, for example). IgG antibodies are found everywhere in your body and are the more "general" antibodies.

When you get sick with something that attacks your gut wall, the IgA antibodies are first formed against the attacker. IgG antibodies are then formed to remember the the attacker and respond more quickly in the future.

In the rest of the body, IgM antibodies are the quick, initial responders, while the IgG antibodies are the memory antibodies.

When you're exposed AGAIN to the same attacker, your IgG antibodies multiply to provide lots of immune response and wipe out the attacker much more quickly. So if you're exposing your body to gluten, your IgG levels will be high (above what's needed to just remember gluten) because your body's still trying to fight it off. IgA will also be high because you're acting at the mucosal surface of your gut wall. If you're having regular smaller slip-ups (crumbs, shared pan, chocolate, whatever) your IgA will be normal but your IgG may not have gone all the way down to the normal range yet.

SaraKat Contributor

Oh, thanks! That makes sense. I guess that would explain why the IGG levels would be last to come down then.

CassP- my dad has type 2, he also has MS. No one has Type 1. I will just have the blood test and see how it turns out before I start to stress! Easier said than done though! I eat pretty healthy and workout a lot, so diabetes would be the last thing I would think I would get, but who knows!

Archived