This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

A Few Dumb Questions

mtcross

mtcross Rookie

So the diagnosis isn't official yet, just had the blood test yesterday but the camera tour from a few weeks ago indicated that I am a celiac. I don't have the painful gut, or big D symptoms but my Dr. was concerned about a couple recent blood tests that indicated I was anemic (October) and then borderline anemic (January). But when the camera Dr called a few days ago asking me to have the blood test for celiac it made sense and may explain the foggy head, always feeling like I could use a nap,anemia issues, constant flatulence and occasional bloated feelings.

I've decided to start the gluten free diet on Monday, so this weekend is my goodbye to a few favorites, real pizza and Guinness last night, a real burger and Guinness tonight, and I'm leaning toward raviolis tomorrow night, we'll see about the Guinness, though I may go with a real IPA.

Now for a few questions..

a quick Google search has not turned up a search able list of safe products.. I really need to know if I can still consume mass quantities of Hines Ketchup... if not I'm not sure what to think- Hunts would do, but... I can give up my favorite post Sunday long run muffin, but give up ketchup? And a few other things like that, are there major brand bbq sauces that are safe and some that aren't?

I don't mind doing my own baking, but my few attempts to bake gluten/dairy/egg free for a friend did not turn out quite as well as I had hoped, tasted fine, but the stuff would not hold together. The soda bread turned into crumble bread. I'm hoping that the elimination of eggs and dairy had more to do with the texture than the gluten-free? I'm sure there are tricks to baking gluten-free breads, both yeast and soda.. is there a good rule of thumb or have you all just done the trial and error thing?

I also love to make my own pasta from scratch, esp. raviolis, have any of you had success making your own gluten-free pasta and is there any hope for gluten-free ravioli?

One final question: Should I be concerned that my spell check keeps trying to change Celiac to Celibate?

I thank you all for any guidance, though I think this may have been as much a rant as a request for answers... kind of funny that my first concerns aren't really health related but food related. Though about 5 years ago I underwent a huge diet/lifestyle change, lost a bunch of weight and became an endurance athlete, and during that time I've been very good about keeping my food log. So I am not concerned about making another change in my diet, though there will be a few more convenience issues this time.

There I quit, I'm done for now.. I hope.

Enjoy your weekend

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

If I recall correctly, Heinz regular ketchup is gluten-free. I don't use ketchup myself, though.

Try these links for useful information:

Unsafe ingredients.

Safe ingredients.

Open Original Shared Link If you don't see "wheat, rye, barley, barley malt, oats" on the labels, its not there, or hidden in "flavors, starches, etc."

I am not a supporter of lists--they are out of date the minute that you print them. Formulas are constantly changing. That is why I like to buy from companies who will label clearly (see the third link above). Always read the label.

kareng Grand Master

have the blood test for celiac it made sense and may explain the foggy head, always feeling like I could use a nap,anemia issues, constant flatulence and occasional bloated feelings.

Now for a few questions..

IOne final question: Should I be concerned that my spell check keeps trying to change Celiac to Celibate?

Enjoy your weekend

The computer is happy to not have to smell you anymore! :ph34r:

Preface this with in the USA:

Most Ketchup is gluten-free. Many BBQ sauces are fine. Lots of stuff is gluten-free. Read the labels.

Once in a while wheat or barley turn up, so read the labels. Barley doesn't seem to be in much but it is used in sweet things like butterscotch chips. Read the label.

Sorry about the Guiness. I loved dark beer, too. I would suggest you don't try the gluten-free beers for a month or 2. Give your mouth some time to forget the dark beers or you will be comparing them & dissapointed. Maybe drink hard cider, its sweet but its not beer.

Oh, and did I mention: Read the labels? :)

kareng Grand Master

Sorry! Forgot to say "Welcome"

Financialman Newbie

Welcome Mtcross,

There are no dumb questions when it comes to your health. This forum is the place to be to ask your Celiac questions so ask away.:D

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Welcome!

That is absolutely hilarious that your spell check changes Celiac to Celibate!

Sometimes feels that way too! Especially when you realise that kissing people who eat gluten can make you sick. It is true. I didn't believe it, but doing my own experiment proved it to be true. Just so's you know.

Heinz is fine. You can keep your ketchup.

:)

Jestgar Rising Star

One final question: Should I be concerned that my spell check keeps trying to change Celiac to Celibate?

I'd pick Celiac over celibate any time. ;)

Welcome to the board.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

I vote for celiac disease over celibate disease too! :D Welcome to the board. French's mustard is gluten free too, but do check labels. It is good to do a google search for the food name and gluten and you will usually find your answer. Manufacturers web sites usually have the nutrition info for their products available also. And many have an FAQ with gluten info. Welcome to the site!

love2travel Mentor

Having been diagnosed two weeks ago with celiac disease I jumped right into making all my baked goods from scratch. I teach cooking classes (cooking is my obsession) which is even greater incentive to make the best gluten-free bread, pizza dough, doughnuts, croissants, English muffins, bagels, pasta, tortilla shells, pastry and so on rather than rely on the icky imposters. In the past two weeks I've made gluten-free:

- Orange Buttercream Cupcakes

- three kinds of yeast bread

- tortillas

- fresh pasta

- biscuits

- scones

- focaccia bread

It can be done but I really need to improve the pasta. I was saddened by it - such a lovely egg yolk yellow turned white in the water. Taste was ok but a little sweet. So, I have some tweaking to do! ;)

Archived