Monklady123

Let's Talk About Willpower In The Face Of Temptation. :)

Rate this topic

The other threads about "cheating" got me to thinking about willpower. Since I've been on Weight Watchers on and off for a couple of years I would say that I do NOT have good willpower. For me dieting is hard. I really want that Snickers bar in the afternoon, or a second glass of wine, and I always tell myself that "I'll exercise extra tomorrow to work it off." Then I don't. :rolleyes:

But then I realized that when it really matters I do have willpower. When I was pregnant with my second kid I had gestational diabetes I went cold turkey with my old way of eating and followed that diet to the letter. Now of course that was only temporary.

Now with the gluten free diet I really have NO trouble staying on it. I never cheat. Of course that doesn't mean I don't miss the old ways of eating! I drool over the smell of real pizza, and do miss chewy crusty bread. I miss going to Krispy Creme and watching the donuts roll off the conveyor belt and getting one hot from the oven. But knowing how awful I feel if I have one bite seems to totally inspire me not to put it in my mouth.

So anyway, I thought that was interesting, that I have willpower in some situations and in others I do not. (and, sadly for my weight, Snickers bars are gluten free!) :lol:

I'm in the very same boat! I joined WW a few weeks ago and am having a terrible time w/ my portion control and cheats!

Perfect example: Last night I chopped up awesome veggies and stir fried a little bit of a leftover porkchop and put it over rice... 8 points and a good portion! Later... the leftover rice is what got me. I put some in a little bowl and slapped a bit of butter on top and nuked it.

I'm eating better than I have in years (lots of fruits and veggies) but am still not losing weight. I'm trying HARD to walk every day.

I can stay away from gluten w/ no problem, but there's so much we CAN eat that's sabotaging me!

I don't cheat either because I know what the consequences will be and I really don't miss most things, except a really good pizza. This is different from other "diets", where all that will happen is that you might gain a pound or two. Cheating on this means being sick......don't want to go back to that. B)

Snickers is gluten free? What about Milky Way?

I have no trouble staying gluten free and have no desire to cheat. I just think intestinal lymphoma and that is enough to scare me.

I have bad willpower with dieting though!

I don't cheat either because I know what the consequences will be and I really don't miss most things, except a really good pizza. This is different from other "diets", where all that will happen is that you might gain a pound or two. Cheating on this means being sick......don't want to go back to that. B)

Snickers is gluten free? What about Milky Way?

Yes Snickers is gluten free. Milky Way Dark are gluten free but the original is not as it has malted barley. I don't know about the Caramel one but the company is good about labeling gluten ingredients.

I find self hypnosis and/or imaging helpful combatting addictive eating -- or any other addictive behavior. If I don't improve, I will get someone else to help me using hypnosis or tapping using EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique).

I also often try to replace my craving for something "bad" with something else that is a lot healthier even though it might taste "illegal". So sometimes if I get the munchies I'll make myself some home made gluten-free carob brownies for instance --sweetened 90% with stevia (2 tsp. per 4 cups dry material: gluten-free flour, stevia, ground flax, carob etc.) with maybe just 2 to 4 tablespoons of sugar--and then share my concoction with others--or cut the brownies in portions and freeze the rest.

As far as candy bars go, if you end up eating too many of them you could just imagine that they are "illegal" and will turn you into a farting, pimply blimp or some such other horrific image. Then imagine yourself slim on a tropical island under a palm tree overlooking the ocean eating your carob brownie or drinking a carob drink sweetened with stevia. Playing some favorite music wouldn't hurt either... Its all in the reprogramming. You can bet the candy companies are trying to program you too...so this counter attack serves you rather than undermines you like all those commercials and ads do.

My dear Monklady,

Since I know that you are a clergy person, perhaps you can appreciate this suggestion. I have taken to memorizing scripture to help me make healthy food choices more often. I put verses up on my fridge and in the door of my pantry and even in my secret food hiding places. ;) The first one that I memorized is: 1 Corinthians 10:23. Another good one to look up is Ecclessiates 10:17. There are many others but those should get your started. Put them on your fridge. Write them on a little note cards and carry it with you to pull out when you feel that temptation. Above all though, remember that there is forgiveness if you give in and indulge in that Snickers bar. Ask God to give you better will power next time instead of doing it in your own strentgh and you will have fewer times of giving in. I'm not meaning to "preach" at you, but I think many Christians (even clergy) often think that God doesn't care about our little struggles with things like food. We often think He only cares about the big sins like murder or adultery. I'm not going to argue theology with anyone but I know without a doubt that my God cares about my struggles and when I give them to Him instead of just muddling through myself I have more success overcoming. I hope you can find the same victory over the food that tempts you. :)

I don't have Celiac, but do have high cholesterol. What works for me when I get tempted is to picture myself 10, 20 years down the road doing things I really want - being at my son's wedding, holding a newborn grandchild,etc. Then I picture what those days will be like for my son without me in them (dead from heart disease). The donut, cookie, etc. doesn't sound so good to me any more.