This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help! My Son Got Glutened.

jsmjboertlein

jsmjboertlein Rookie

My 5 year old's Celiac's is very severe. If he gets glutened we know because he has bleeding under his skin and he will vommit blood. So last night we went to a little kid's party. Parents were supposed to drop the kids and leave but I stayed because it's only his second party that I didn't throw since his dx and I wanted to be sure he ate safely. Well, he went to bed with a screaming tummy ache and has been restless all night. I feel like he's some how despite how careful I was, gotten glutened. I brought his own food to the party and his own cup. Then he was given these things which normally I never allow,(we normally just eat organic) but since it was a party and he hears "no" to sweets alllll the time, last night I said yes. This is what he ate, can anyone tell me where I screwed up?:

1 Starburst

1 sweettart

1 pack of smarties

1 mini tootsie roll

2 sandwhich snack bags of Trix cereal. They were the new revamped Trix. I know that's a lot of junk for one little guy, but like I said he hears "no" an awful lot and it was a special occassion.

O and he had a new kind of water from the health food store but it wasn't flavored. Not sure of the name, but it was just some sorta bottled water from France supposedly. It was in a dark blue bottle that my son said reminded him of beer or whine. LOL not sure if that helps. If anyone really needs the brand I can run down and dig it out of my recycle bin. Any help would be so so great!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kimmik95 Rookie

I don't think the Trix are gluten-free. I looked quick online and there was something about them changing the ingredients so they are not gluten-free anymore. I know that my mom got Chris some Sweet Tarts for Valentine's Day and they had a label that they were processed in a facility that processes wheat.

I hope your son is feeling better soon. My son is fairly newly diagnosed (November) and has already been glutened once - it's heartbreaking. He's been complaining of leg cramps the last day or so (which was his inital complaint that led to the diagnosis), but I can't think of anything he ate that would have gluten in it, so I'm hoping it's actually growing pains this time!

My 5 year old's Celiac's is very severe. If he gets glutened we know because he has bleeding under his skin and he will vommit blood. So last night we went to a little kid's party. Parents were supposed to drop the kids and leave but I stayed because it's only his second party that I didn't throw since his dx and I wanted to be sure he ate safely. Well, he went to bed with a screaming tummy ache and has been restless all night. I feel like he's some how despite how careful I was, gotten glutened. I brought his own food to the party and his own cup. Then he was given these things which normally I never allow,(we normally just eat organic) but since it was a party and he hears "no" to sweets alllll the time, last night I said yes. This is what he ate, can anyone tell me where I screwed up?:

1 Starburst

1 sweettart

1 pack of smarties

1 mini tootsie roll

2 sandwhich snack bags of Trix cereal. They were the new revamped Trix. I know that's a lot of junk for one little guy, but like I said he hears "no" an awful lot and it was a special occassion.

O and he had a new kind of water from the health food store but it wasn't flavored. Not sure of the name, but it was just some sorta bottled water from France supposedly. It was in a dark blue bottle that my son said reminded him of beer or whine. LOL not sure if that helps. If anyone really needs the brand I can run down and dig it out of my recycle bin. Any help would be so so great!

jsmjboertlein Rookie

From what I've read, Trix are gluten free but not processed in a dedicated facility. I know my son reacts to cross contamination, so I guess this is what did it. He's had them in the past, though, and I don't recall him getting sick from them. I hate when this happens. I feel so guilty.

Roda Rising Star

My vote is on the Trix cereal. My youngest son (who is gluten free also) and I eat starburst, tootsie rolls and smarties without any problem. Starburst states gluten free on the lable Open Original Shared Link tootsie has a gluten statement Open Original Shared Link smarties claims they are gluten free Open Original Shared Link and for the sweetarts Wonka has this on their site Open Original Shared Link We have also eaten several wonka candies like nerds, laffy taffy and fun dip without trouble.

Now just because they state gluten free doesn't mean he didn't react to it since everyone's sensitivity varries. My first guess would be the trix since I didn't think it was gluten free, but he had so many new things at one time that would make it hard to pinpoint. As for the candy that is gluten free you could always let him try some at home and not add anything else to see if he reacts to it.

Roda Rising Star

From what I've read, Trix are gluten free but not processed in a dedicated facility. I know my son reacts to cross contamination, so I guess this is what did it. He's had them in the past, though, and I don't recall him getting sick from them. I hate when this happens. I feel so guilty.

Were the trix bagged up by someone else?

jsmjboertlein Rookie

No, I actually bagged the TRIX

concernedmamma Explorer

Smarties are not gluten free. M&M's are. At least in Canada Smarties have wheat clearly declared in the ingredients.

I have no idea about everything else. Hugs. It hurts to see our kiddos in pain.

I just followed the link above for Smarties. Totally different from what I know is smarties. I was thinking of the 'other' candy coated chocolate.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roda Rising Star

Smarties are not gluten free. M&M's are. At least in Canada Smarties have wheat clearly declared in the ingredients.

I have no idea about everything else. Hugs. It hurts to see our kiddos in pain.

I just followed the link above for Smarties. Totally different from what I know is smarties. I was thinking of the 'other' candy coated chocolate.

Yep, from what I understand smarties in the US and Canada are two entirely different things. The link above is for smarties in the US and are gluten free.

Roda Rising Star

I hope your little man feels better soon. Accidents happen, so don't be so hard on yourself. It sounds like you do a good job!

Kimmik95 Rookie

I read they've been reformulated and are no longer considered gluten-free. My son has had them in the past with no issue, but I will stay away from them after what I read.

jsmjboertlein Rookie

Thanks everyone. It was the dang Trix. Sigh. He's still recovering and it was well over a week ago. He's bleeding under his skin right now on his legs and super angry which is usually toward the end of his cycle. I feel so bad

psawyer Proficient

In Canada, the candy called Smarties is candy-covered chocolate. They are similar to M&Ms, but unlike M&Ms they contain wheat.

Archived