ishy

Impossible To Lose Weight!

Rate this topic

I am about 151 pounds and 5'2. I am finding it impossible to lose weight unless I only eat two meals a day, which I have done to go down to 141 pounds. If I eat between that I am almost guaranteed to gain weight. I have had a celiac test which came out negative. I had a gluten intolerance test on Monday and have been gluten free since. I am waiting for the results. Is it true that people with gluten sensivity (not celiac) can gain weight?

I am about 151 pounds and 5'2. I am finding it impossible to lose weight unless I only eat two meals a day, which I have done to go down to 141 pounds. If I eat between that I am almost guaranteed to gain weight. I have had a celiac test which came out negative. I had a gluten intolerance test on Monday and have been gluten free since. I am waiting for the results. Is it true that people with gluten sensivity (not celiac) can gain weight?

absolutely yes- you can be overweight and be gluten intolerant! many of us including me had extra weight when eating gluten.

that being said- there may be other things involved too- you may be like some of us that need to eat very "paleo".. meaning no gluten AND very low carb/grain/starch.. for health & weight reasons..

or you may have an underactive or autoimmune thyroid issue- which is ALSO very common in those with gluten intolerance

absolutely yes- you can be overweight and be gluten intolerant! many of us including me had extra weight when eating gluten.

that being said- there may be other things involved too- you may be like some of us that need to eat very "paleo".. meaning no gluten AND very low carb/grain/starch.. for health & weight reasons..

or you may have an underactive or autoimmune thyroid issue- which is ALSO very common in those with gluten intolerance

Thanks for the reply. All my blood work came out normal. So no thyroid issue to worry about. I hope, now, that going gluten free I will be able to shed some pounds :( I am really frustrated. Nothing else works. I eat healthy too. Am a vegetarian and eat plenty fruits and veg.

I eat healthy too. Am a vegetarian and eat plenty fruits and veg.

And how much processed gluten-free substitutes?

Hi there, welcome to the forums.

I was 205 at the time I went gluten free. No matter how I dieted I could not lose weight even on a 700 calorie a day diet. I am down to 160 now.

It wasn't until I went on a whole foods diet that I was able to lose weight.

My advise is do not eat any gluten free packaged foods as these are high in carbs and sugars, therefore defeating your purpose. Eat as often as you feel hungry, lots of brown rice, if you can handle grains. Lots of nuts, especially almonds if you don't have a nut allergy. Lots of protien will keep you full and satisfied. Since you are a vegetarian you will have to find a different protien source than meat. Since you are a vegan, you might not realize it but soy may be a problem for you too and it can affect you symptom wise like gluten.

Give that a try and I hope you'll see some differences for the better. Good luck.

• Upvote 2

Hi there, welcome to the forums.

I was 205 at the time I went gluten free. No matter how I dieted I could not lose weight even on a 700 calorie a day diet. I am down to 160 now.

It wasn't until I went on a whole foods diet that I was able to lose weight.

My advise is do not eat any gluten free packaged foods as these are high in carbs and sugars, therefore defeating your purpose. Eat as often as you feel hungry, lots of brown rice, if you can handle grains. Lots of nuts, especially almonds if you don't have a nut allergy. Lots of protien will keep you full and satisfied. Since you are a vegetarian you will have to find a different protien source than meat. Since you are a vegan, you might not realize it but soy may be a problem for you too and it can affect you symptom wise like gluten.

Give that a try and I hope you'll see some differences for the better. Good luck.

Ishy - in a similar boat....be sure to get the lab tests for that "normal" thyroid test. i'm reading a lot that some docs differ on what the "normal" range is (they usually print the range on the labwork...generally speaking anything over 3 is hypo) so it doesn't hurt to dig deeper...my primary says mine is normal as well, but when I pulled out my labwork from the past 3 years, I have noticed a definite trend towards hypo (while fluctation is normal, my #s only ever go up and recently it shot up quite a bit)....she is referring me to an endo at this point and I am going to insist on a full panel....

My thought at the moment is that even if you are in normal range, if you are at the high end of that range, it's worth thinking that it could be part of your problem. You might have to go through a few docs to get answers though (i'm gearing up for that)

Another thing to look into is PCOS...my doc ruled that out earlier for me, but I am sure the endo will test for it as well (I had a pelvic ultrasound which didnt show any cysts but she admitted it's not full proof)