This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Eating

sinceIwas3

sinceIwas3 Newbie

I was diagnosed with Celiac Srue when I was three years old. That was 24 years ago.When I was little I got to eat at Burger King(cheesburger no bun/fries),and Taco Bell(regular crunchy taco). Well, since then I have gone off my diet(starting at age 16). Now celiac sprue has come back FULL force. Now I cannot have Burger King(anything) or my crunchy taco from taco bell! Is thier anybody else that is like me? Does everyone do non stop cooking?

I guess I should not be upset, thier are so many others out thier with worse problems than me. I just wonder who else misses A BIG juicy burger from penny's bbq, fries from Ponderosa, potato skins from Friday's, and wash it down with an ammereto sour, then a carmel sundae from O'Charley's :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mytummyhurts Contributor

I used to eat fast food all the time. We can still have some things. Like burgers (no bun) and fries from McDonalds. Their burgers are pretty pathetic looking though with no bun. :D And chili from Wendy's. Plus other stuff. I mostly just miss the ease of eating anywhere without worry. It is definitely hard! I'm with you. I miss BK's chicken sandwiches and Clucks n' Fries at Red Robin.

Guest gfinnebraska

The burger from BK should be fine. The tacos from Taco Bell are full of gluten, and should be avoided. McD's ff are fine... I LOVE those! Ha! You can still satisfy your cravings for fast food and grease, but just need to choose wisely. :)

tasha Apprentice

Hm...I duno about the chili from Wendy's. They put all the burned meat that they can no longer use for burgers into it.

I wouldn't trust the fact that the meat patties have never touched buns, sometimes people cancel orders or change them etc. so the patty just goes back with the meat, contaminating all of it.

So it seems a bit risky to me. Besides, the idea of old nasty meat being put into it kinda turns me off of it anyway :blink:

skbird Contributor

I'm weird like this, but I don't really eat fast food. But I do eat occasionally at In N Out Burger. I used to get a burger protein style (patty and cheese, wrapped in lettuce) but since they use a rinse on their lettuce that contains citric acid (manufactured from aspergillus niger, which I am allergic to) I don't eat it that way now - I request "Flying Dutchman" which is two patties with cheese melted in between. I also get onion. If I get this and bring it back to work, I might toast up some gluten-free bread and eat it that way. Since In N Out is always packed, I'm certain they are moving that food through and there is little chance for cross-contamination. I haven't gotten sick from it this way.

Stephanie

PS yes, I cook a lot, but I love to cook! It's very theraputic to me to make delicious meals... and when I do go out (rarely) and have food, I am almost always disappointed as it never tastes as good as what I would make. :)

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

There are still plenty of places to eat out. I like to cook for myself though. P.F. Changs and Out Back Steakhouse both have glutenfree menus. You can get big juicy bun-less burgers at most regular restaurants. If you have a deep fryer you can make yummie homemade frenchfries. You don't have to be cooking non-stop. If you look around you will find gluten-free options all over. You can even talk to your favourite local restaurant and work with them to create some gluten-free meals.

mytummyhurts Contributor
Hm...I duno about the chili from Wendy's. They put all the burned meat that they can no longer use for burgers into it.

I wouldn't trust the fact that the meat patties have never touched buns, sometimes people cancel orders or change them etc. so the patty just goes back with the meat, contaminating all of it.

So it seems a bit risky to me. Besides, the idea of old nasty meat being put into it kinda turns me off of it anyway :blink:

Why would burned meat be contaminated with gluten? Not that it sounds appetizing. I don't know though that it is true that they use that. Wouldn't burnt meat taste bad? Even in chili? Where is this info from? Wendy's says that their chili is gluten-free and I know that so many companies are worried about being sued and covering their butts in their statements about allergens that I wouldn't think they would say that unless it was true.

I also don't really believe that, at least the McDonald's that I frequent could use old burgers and get away with it. First of all because I always order mine with only cheese. If the burgers had been for someone else they probably would have ordered it with ketchup, etc and that would be hard to get off. Plus when they messed up my order one time and gave me buns, they didn't take my old ones back. A lot of restaurants let you keep their screw ups because they can't really do anything with it anyways.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kabowman Explorer

We eat out on a fairly frequent basis and the places we go to often even recognize us and I almost never worry any more.

We do cook, a LOT, because I use leftovers for lunch the next day or the following. It is easier than eating out all lunches rather than the occasional lunch. It is also cheaper (if you don't eat fast food).

I also occasionally miss having a Big Mac, until I remember the last one I ate, before I knew what was wrong, made me sick for 4 days. Then I think, nah, I like my food just fine.

tasha Apprentice

I wouldn't say for sure that the chili is contaminated, but that it is a tiny bit risky. My boyfriend worked at Wendy's and one of my friends became a manager and it is common practice to use the meat that does not get used up for burgers for the chili. Also, I could have sworn I read it somewhere on the internet recentely but I can't remember where.

I say that the meat could be contaminated with gluten because of mistakes made in the kitchen. In no way do I mean mistakes that are handed out to customers that are returned and used...that is really gross and I sure hope no businesses take back food that has crossed the counter. By mistakes I mean that when you're in the kitchen and cooking, someone might order a cheeseburger on drive-thru...so you start preparing it, put the meat on the bun for example. Then, the person changes their mind and wants some chicken. You would take the meat off the bun and return it to the holder without thinking about it and then start to make the chicken. A lot of the time you could have just put the meat on a plain bun, but even if you had put ketchup, mustard and pickles on it, its surprisingly easy to remove, especially from the meat.

Although it is a small chance of cross contamination, I would feel uncomfortable eating the chili. I worked for many years in a fast food kitchen and people change their minds A LOT. It makes me uneasy knowing how easily the cross contamination could possibly happen, but I think everyone needs to make their own educated decision.

Also, keep in mind that they have a little note on the website claiming "no responsibility" for accidental ingestion of allergens.

I hope this clarifies things a bit. :)

skbird Contributor

I remember my mom getting mad at me because whenever we ordered from the drivethru I would request something like mayo on my burger, and that would always mean we'd have to park and they'd come out with the food. I didn't mean for that to happen but in retrospect - it was a good strategy because it meant that my food was freshly made, not under a heat lamp. My burger would always be the hottest of all the orders.

When I was still in high school, my best friend worked at McDonalds and when the cheeseburgers had sat for 5 mins under the heat lamp, they had to be chucked (store policy) and sometimes she would bag them up and sneak them to me to give to my growing brother. That was another thing that made me feel more confident in McDonalds.

Funny that I'm defending fast food now - I refuse to eat it (except that rare In N Out Burger) because I think it's not healthy for anyone, but I do want to point out that some chains have some amount of scruples.

Stephanie

mytummyhurts Contributor

Tasha-yeah that all makes sense. And I do recognize that I take a risk eating out at these places because they are not aware of my needs and may do things that would not normally be bad, but that are for us. I do trust McDonalds more than Wendy's.

SmittySlick Newbie

Hello there! This is my first time to reply, so I hope to do it correctly. I have learned alot, just by browsing, and really felt the need to be able to communicate with everyone.

I have a 5 year old son who has severe food allergies, one being gluten, which puts his dietary needs, just as someone who has Celiac.

I do an awful lot of cooking and research for my son. Yesterday, I cooked for an entire day. I make extras of everything and then freeze it. Next week and for several weeks after, I will not have to do as much. I am lucky that I enjoy cooking, but sometimes get angry at all the extras I have to do.

SmittySlick

cdford Contributor

Forget the burgers...I drool over the thought of a Chic-fil-a sandwich and fries. I never was a junk food junkie, but every now and then it would sure be nice. At least I can run through McD and get a chocolate sundae and fries!

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Chick-fil-a has gluten-free food.

Open Original Shared Link

mouse Enthusiast

I order from my McDonalds fairly frequently. I order two patties with ketchup and mustard (no bun) and fries. I have never gotten sick. I also frequent Wendy's to meet a friend for a quick lunch. I order the meat patty and then a baked potatoe with the toppings I can have. I have never gotten sick there. But each chain has to be judged by how careful the employees or their manager is. I miss Long John Silver's greasy fish and chips. I was diagnosed Feb.2004 and went gluten free the night he told me to be tested. Have spent several hundred hours researching this disease. Was treated like a hypocondriac until the light bulb went off in his head. Went from a size 16 to an 8. He thought that I would put some weight back on when I went gluten free. NaDa. He hoped I would get to 50% recovery in a year. It's been a year and a half and I have not reached the 50% mark. Started dropping weight again a month ago and now drinking Ensure 2 to 3 times a day and counting the calories up. Was diagnosed with Morphia Scleroderma last fall (biopsies). He said that if he had waited another two weeks for my diagnosis that I would not have recovered. Because I have done everything right and the time lapse has been a year and a half, we have discussed that I will not recover. My villi were too far damaged to rise and shine again. I am always exhausted even though I take special vitamins and the Ensure (HIgh Protein). I have 1 1/2 weeks to put on some weight before I see the doctor again. I have lost 1/2 pound in the three days since my last appointment. No weight gain - then a C scan for colon cancer. I guess I am telling you all of this so that the newbies realize this is nothing to sneeze at and cheat on. I am 63 years old. If someone wants to become like me, then cheat and take pepto bismo to kill the pain. BUT, the damage is still going on in your body and you might be one of the unlucky ones and not recover. My quality of life sucks, but I still try to do things. I just have to rest a lot and luckily I love books - no energy required there. I also have a wonderful and supportive husband who eats the gluten free meals I prepare and never complains. By the way, since my diagnosis, my GP has now diagnosed over 50 people with this disease. I still think that people with this disease have to try and lead a normal life and can still go out to dinner, but with common sense and caution.

pugsnapps Newbie

Due to my busy schedule and nearly 100mile round trip drive to and from work... My husband and I eat out fairly regularly.

Most places (even fast food) will go over and above to accomidate your needs when asked. Just be nice about it and explain that you will be very sick if they mess it up. Yes, occassionally I do still get sick, but it is very rare.

Plus, like someone said in one of the previous posts the people start to recognize you. There are several places that I know the chef now or the server will recognize me as soon as I come in. It does help that I tip pretty good when they get everything right (I know from experience that you remember the customer's that tip good or the ones that are really nice to you).

Here in the Atlanta area we are blessed with quite a few restaurants (including fast food) that have gluten free menus... Although, I've heard that Chicago & California have even more choices.

My favorites:

Chick-fila -- Chicken breast with tomatos extra lettuce, waffle fries and diet lemonade (or thier sweet tea) ... other awesome choices too(see the link above in a previous post).

McDonalds -- Chicken filet with extra lettuce & fries.

Smokey Bones -- St Louis style ribs w/cinnamon apples

Ted's Montana Grill -- Buffalo Filet w/mashed potatoes

Outback Steakhouse -- My favorites here are too many to list, but I have to say that I go for that gluten-free dessert... The Thunder Down Under!!! Just heavenly.

Arby's -- Roasted Turkey w/extra lettuce, tomato, bacon and ranch dressing. Some of them have baked potatoes... I order a plain potatoe and top it with the ranch dressing.

My New Favorite - "Shout" - Food,Fun, Flirt (I posted about this one in Gluten Free Dining). It isn't listed on the gluten-free restaurant lists... but believe me this place is awesome and the manager, chef & staff are extremely knowledgeable about gluten alllergies.

I always explain my allergy to the person taking my order and in some cases talk to the chef or manager. Yes, I still inspect my food, but it is very rare that I get sick from eating out.

I used to go to Wendy's, but they have eliminated some items from thier gluten free menu and I just prefer to eat some where with more options... particularly I want french fries and thier's are no longer gluten-free.

Things I avoid now that are supposively gluten-free, but I have gotten sick off of... Smokey Bones Fries, Burger King Fries, McDonalds & Wendy's Salads... All probably from cross contamination.

Well, I just got my new updated 2005 version of "The Gluten -Wheat Free Guide to Eating Out" and can't wait to try some more places.

If done carefully, you can enjoy a free life with celiac disease... you just have to do some research and become sort-of an educator to the public on celiac disease and gluten allergies.

Archived