Newtoitall

Question About Lactose

Rate this topic

So I was wondering if anyone knew why since requiring gluten free lifestyle, I am also still months after going gluten-free, so sensitive to dairy, I have this lactose free milk, that Lacteeze brand or w.e, I can drink really small amounts without any serious problems but soon as I have a glass of it, It hurts.

So basically I'm wondering why lacteze emzeimes no longer work for me, I can't take lactose pills or drink the special milk and be ok like I used to for my whole life.

Perhaps your problem is casien, the milk protein, rather than lactose, the milk sugar.

Perhaps your problem is casien, the milk protein, rather than lactose, the milk sugar.

ooo...awe, that sucks but that makes alot of sense.

Are you able to use butter? I think it's lactose free but would contain casein. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong...

butter contains VERY small quantities of casein, and depending on sensitivity levels, may not bother someone with casein sensitivity. (butter is almost entirely fat and water, the protein that is in there is only what isn't fully separated out in the butter making process.)

I react to all lactose free products. I read that they still contain lactose...just less. It is enough to make me swell up like I'm pregnant!

For the first year or two of lactose intolerance Lactaid worked for me. Then it no longer did. I guess the damage had become worse....Now that I am healed I can tolerate lactose again.

My younger brother could never have cow milk, because he was intolerant of the casein, instead of being allergic to the lactose. Goat milk, goat cheese, etcetera, however, didn't bother him at all. Maybe this could be a solution for you?

For myself, dairy was never a problem, but as my insides got worse by not being gluten free (because I didn't know I needed to be), it was harder for me to have dairy. Once my insides healed, dairy was fine.

If you are truly intolerant though, it won't matter how healed your insides are, it would be just as bad as having gluten. Goat products may be safe though. Obviously though, this is something you'd want to test very carefully, and probably wait until you've been gluten free for awhile. Don't want to be doing too many new things at once.