AzizaRivers

Brown Bear Spice Muffins (Recipe!)

Rate this topic

I made these muffins awhile ago and someone asked me to share the recipe. I half invented them, half adapted them from glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com...Karina's vanilla cupcake recipe. But these are definitely muffins. They are a sweet, spicy breakfast muffin. I fiddled with the recipe while I was making them in order to get them the way they ended up, so feel free to do the same. Also, substitutions work in many cases. Inherently gluten and soy free, potentially free of dairy, corn (if you choose ingredients and brands carefully), and eggs.

Dry Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups sorghum flour

1 cup tapioca starch

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. xanthan gum (guar may work)

1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Wet Ingredients:

1 cup warm water (or rice milk)

2 eggs (or replacement)

3 Tbs. butter or olive oil

1 Tbs. vanilla extract

1/4 tsp. lemon juice

1/2 cup applesauce

Swirly Filling:

1 Tbs. butter or olive oil

3 Tbs. brown sugar

1 Tbs. applesauce

1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine dry ingredients. Add the wet ones in and beat or blend well. Spoon into greased 12-muffin tin. Mix the filling ingredients together in a bowl with a fork. Spoon evenly over unbaked muffins (yes, on top--it will sink in by itself during baking). I put a few small lumps of brown sugar over the tops before baking them (optional). Bake 27-30 minutes. Freeze whatever isn't eaten in the first day, and microwave for 30-45 seconds to reheat.

These were so yummy when I made them, and I swear they would have fooled any gluten-eater in the world (yes, even the texture!). It's a flexible recipe, so do what works for you in terms of substitutions and amounts of ingredients. Let me know how they turn out and if you do anything differently. :)

• Upvote 1

I made these muffins awhile ago and someone asked me to share the recipe. I half invented them, half adapted them from glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com...Karina's vanilla cupcake recipe. But these are definitely muffins. They are a sweet, spicy breakfast muffin. I fiddled with the recipe while I was making them in order to get them the way they ended up, so feel free to do the same. Also, substitutions work in many cases. Inherently gluten and soy free, potentially free of dairy, corn (if you choose ingredients and brands carefully), and eggs.

Dry Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups sorghum flour

1 cup tapioca starch

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. xanthan gum (guar may work)

1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Wet Ingredients:

1 cup warm water (or rice milk)

2 eggs (or replacement)

3 Tbs. butter or olive oil

1 Tbs. vanilla extract

1/4 tsp. lemon juice

1/2 cup applesauce

Swirly Filling:

1 Tbs. butter or olive oil

3 Tbs. brown sugar

1 Tbs. applesauce

1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine dry ingredients. Add the wet ones in and beat or blend well. Spoon into greased 12-muffin tin. Mix the filling ingredients together in a bowl with a fork. Spoon evenly over unbaked muffins (yes, on top--it will sink in by itself during baking). I put a few small lumps of brown sugar over the tops before baking them (optional). Bake 27-30 minutes. Freeze whatever isn't eaten in the first day, and microwave for 30-45 seconds to reheat.

These were so yummy when I made them, and I swear they would have fooled any gluten-eater in the world (yes, even the texture!). It's a flexible recipe, so do what works for you in terms of substitutions and amounts of ingredients. Let me know how they turn out and if you do anything differently. :)

These look fabulous! For some reason, I don't have much success with sorghum flour. Maybe will sub amaranth instead :) and freeze these to take when there are treats at school that I can't eat.

• Upvote 1

These sound fantastic!!--will save for when I can eat more stuff. Tummy still too tender just yet....but, these will be in the recipe book for down the road.... sounds yummy!

thanks for sharing!! :D

• Upvote 1

If you try it with the amaranth let me know if it works. Hope you enjoy them!

• Upvote 1

If you try it with the amaranth let me know if it works. Hope you enjoy them!

Will do. Will probably use 1.5 c. rice mix and 1 c. amaranth and see how that turns out. Or 1 c. rice mix, 1/4 c. almond meal, 1/4 c. sweet rice, and 1 c. amaranth.

• Upvote 1