jrose1982

Help! Im New!

Rate this topic

Hi! My name is Jennifer. Im 28, mother of 2 and Im married. I live in the Nashville area.

Ok, my thing is, I have alopecia areata. I was diagnosed in early 2008. My dermatologist thinks that alopecia just happens and vitamins are a cure all. I love my vitamins and believe in them! But, they dont make my hair grow back, nor keep it from falling out.

So, I research things all the time but I have never read about "gluten-free" although I see it everywhere. Yesterday, I was curious to know what gluten-free was, (Ive been looking about different food lifestyles and stopped eating red meat about a month and a half ago.) so, I looked it up and there were alot of articles talking about gluten and hairloss. So, I looked into it somemore and saw that some people with alopecia try eating no gluten and it helps! Their hair, slowly but surely, starts growing again.

I get Kenalog shots every 1-3 months for mine. It works 99% of the time but I would love to be independent of these shots. I would like for my hair to grow on its own.

Now, this is all new to me. From what I have read I need to steer clear of wheat, rye, barley and most of the time, oats. I have a few questions, I hope someone can help me out!!

What else should I be cautious of?

Does anyone else have alopecia areata, universalis, or totalis? Did it get better with gluten free therapy?

What can I do that will make this transition easier.

I believe in this and think it could be the key to my hairloss.

I HAVE NOT had any tests run or had a diagnosis for wheat or gluten sensitivity and no test or diagnosis for celiac disease.

I do plan to atleast have a blood test and then any other necessary test ran.

Thanks alot!!! Any advice would be great.

~Jennifer

I have NEVER heard of alopecia being a sign of celiac.

I did, however, have hair fall out before I was diagnosed. However, it was determined it was NOT alopecia but was a major vitamin deficiency, Once the diet changed, it was a big deal and my whole body got better. My hair stopped falling out.

I do hope it helps, but I wouldn't go gluten-free until the blood test is done or you'll get a false negative. I got a false negative after being gluten-free.

That's so interesting!!! So it may not be alopecia but vitamin deficiency. But if you're on vitamins wouldn't that resolve it? Or would you not absorb enough?

That's what Im thinking! As far as the vitamins, I dont know. I take a multivitamin with extra B D and C, then 1200mg of fish oil. My dermatologist insists that if I keep up with the vitamin therapy, which Ive been doing for 3 years, my hair will eventually grown on its own. It hasn't. So, I feel like it could be an absorption problem. Then with more and more research alot of random symptoms I been have over the past few years that I think could range from either a brain tumor to IBS are beginning to make more sense.

That's what Im thinking! As far as the vitamins, I dont know. I take a multivitamin with extra B D and C, then 1200mg of fish oil. My dermatologist insists that if I keep up with the vitamin therapy, which Ive been doing for 3 years, my hair will eventually grown on its own. It hasn't. So, I feel like it could be an absorption problem. Then with more and more research alot of random symptoms I been have over the past few years that I think could range from either a brain tumor to IBS are beginning to make more sense.

Hi, Just my two cents worth,

when I was diagnosed with Celiac (I didn't have any intestinal symptoms, just migraines and a thyroid condition) my doctor slowly put me on really high doses of certain vitamins and minerals along with a gluten free diet. With blood tests every three months he was able to see just what was going on, and now, three years later, all (almost) my blood tests are exactly where he thinks they should be. One side effect has been my hair growing in a bit thicker and with a bit more body, almost a wave. So something did affect my hair! Maybe you're just on too low a dose. You could ask!

I will admit the whole celiac thing isn't easy! I apparently got glutened somehow last summer and have spent the time since then having really painful neurological symptoms. They, too, are slowly going away but since I'm older, 77, it takes a lot more time for me to "bounce back" and heal than you younger people!

Good luck!

Luddie

It's really hard for me right now. Im starting today trying not to eat glutenized things as much as possible. Im eating at Panera, I have freshly made yogurt (saw it made infront of me by a manager who actually used to be MY manager) with no granola and a bottled water. She said the black bean soup was gluten free too. Ummmmm let's see. Yesterday, beyond better judgement, actually HORRIBLE judgement, I had a 10 piece nugget from Mickey D's with fries. Guess what within 30 minutes I had a bad a** headache that lasted for about 5 hours and felt extremely tired. Felt like my eyes were trying to fall out. Also, had random pains all over my belly soon after but that didn't last too long. Im trying to pay attention to the "symptoms" that Im having after eating certain foods. I work at a restaurant so I think I will order a grilled chicken breast and broccoli. I think I will make the manager scrub the grill lol. What a sight!!! Haha!

It's really hard for me right now. Im starting today trying not to eat glutenized things as much as possible. Im eating at Panera, I have freshly made yogurt (saw it made infront of me by a manager who actually used to be MY manager) with no granola and a bottled water. She said the black bean soup was gluten free too. Ummmmm let's see. Yesterday, beyond better judgement, actually HORRIBLE judgement, I had a 10 piece nugget from Mickey D's with fries. Guess what within 30 minutes I had a bad a** headache that lasted for about 5 hours and felt extremely tired. Felt like my eyes were trying to fall out. Also, had random pains all over my belly soon after but that didn't last too long. Im trying to pay attention to the "symptoms" that Im having after eating certain foods. I work at a restaurant so I think I will order a grilled chicken breast and broccoli. I think I will make the manager scrub the grill lol. What a sight!!! Haha!

You're right, It can be very difficult being new to the gluten free diet. I know many who go through these struggles day-to-day. One thing I am doing is taking a variety of businesses and restaurants to task that FALSELY advertise gluten free foods.

I have much passion for the gluten free diet and am keen to make the gluten free labelling laws within Australia more known amongst the general population so these can be addressed.