AmyNColorado

Too Many Veggies?

Rate this topic

Does anyone ever get stomach aches/bloating/gas from just eating too large amount of vegetables in one sitting? I eat big salads everyday for lunch and it seems that I'm getting bloating and gas after every meal. I stopped eating tomatos/peppers for awhile thinking maybe it was nightshades...didn't make a difference. Cut back on raw onions, that didn't seem to help. I know the chicken I use in the salad is gluten-free and I get fat from avocado. Anyone have any problem solving tips or experienced these symptoms from large amounts of veggies?

Thanks!

still trying to figure it all out myself-> sometimes the iceberg & romaine can have too many fructans if you have a fructose "malabsorption" thing like i do. or you could have a fructose/fructan issue- where u can handle a small quantity, but a big salad with all the culprits- and then it just goes over the edge.

idk if that made sense, im tired.

google the FODmap diet- see if any of those food lists ring a bell for u.

good luck :)

When you are first starting, uncooked foods can be a bit hard for a tender tummy to handle. Why don't you try cooking your veggies and dispensing with the raw salads for a bit? Things like apple and tomato skins are hard to digest so you might want to skip those too. Be kind to your stomach for a while and don't give it stuff it is having a hard time handling. Try things like white fish and chicken for protein. You might also try a digestive enzyme supplement to help it along in its digestive task. The pancreas which makes most enzymes if often negatively impacted by gluten and has a hard time making enough enzymes. Good luck on healing. :)

Does anyone ever get stomach aches/bloating/gas from just eating too large amount of vegetables in one sitting? I eat big salads everyday for lunch and it seems that I'm getting bloating and gas after every meal. I stopped eating tomatos/peppers for awhile thinking maybe it was nightshades...didn't make a difference. Cut back on raw onions, that didn't seem to help. I know the chicken I use in the salad is gluten-free and I get fat from avocado. Anyone have any problem solving tips or experienced these symptoms from large amounts of veggies?

Thanks!

Also, gallbladder issues are not uncommon among Celiacs. Once my gallbladder quit on me and had to be removed (a month prior to diagnosis), my doctor warned me that digesting leafy greens would be more difficult from then on out. I still can't eat them. I'd lay off the salads for a while and see if that helps things.

I couldn't handle vegetables or salads for about 6 weeks when I started gluten free.

I read that this is very common and the suggestion was to cook and even puree vegetables so they are easier to digest. I only had to do that for a few weeks, but it saved me so much grief from raw vegetables and salads.

Thanks!

I couldn't eat very many raw things for about the first 6-8 months I was gluten free. If you are new to being gluten free, try eating easy to digest things like steamed veggies instead. I also couldn't do beans and nuts for several months until my body healed. Now (1 yr 3 months gltuen free) I can eat as much raw stuff as I want.

After I had been gluten free for a year, I began having reactions to avocados and greens. FINALLY I discovered that I had to remove EVERY TRACE of corn from my diet (its in supplements, vitamins, citric acid and ascorbic acid) and every TRACE of soy from my diet. Within a month, I have been able to eat avocados again.