margotb

Tell Me What You Know About Gluten Labeling Laws, Please!

Rate this topic

Hello!

I'm researching to write a blog post about gluten labeling laws around the world. I have found out some information about the US, Europe, and New Zealand and Australia. For example, here: http://glutenfreepassport.com/reference/product-labeling/

I want to know about other countries too. A Brazilian friend sent me a link to the law in Brazil. Amazingly, Brazil passed a law in 1992 and strengthened this law in 2003. In Brazil, a product's packaging must say whether a product contains gluten or not. "All foods that contain gluten, like wheat, oats, barley, malt and rye and/or its derivatives, must obligatorily contain warning indicating that composition." In 2003, Brazil strengthened the law stating that all products may state whether they contain gluten and outlined the procedure for proving a product is gluten-free.

How is it possible that Brazil passed this law in 1992 and we still don't have a gluten labeling law in the United States? I can't believe that a product can still say "natural flavorings" in its ingredients and this may or may not contain gluten and we are left to guess.

I would like the post to cover as much ground as possible in terms of how countries around the world have dealt with this issue.

Which countries have strong gluten labeling laws?

In each case where strong laws have been passed, were there strong celiac communities advocating for themselves? Or a government regulatory insider who knew a celiac? And are these laws actually enforced? Can the labels be trusted? Why is it that some countries have come so far while others lag?

I'm a newly diagnosed celiac in the US and am highly dissatisfied with the lack of a gluten labeling standard and law and will do what I can to get these instituted asap. This is too confusing and damaging to our health!!! I plan to support this action as much as I can: http://1in133.org/info/#

I would appreciate any help you can offer for this research.

Thanks!