This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Now For My Son's Results... I Think These Are Good

Debbie B in MD

Debbie B in MD Explorer

After receiving my daughter's test reults which were over the top positve for ttg and gliadin ab, I had my son tested. These are his results and I believe these are all good. Please let me know if I am wrong.

Iga serum 227 Reference Range: 57-300

Gliadin AB IGA 5: Reference Range <11 negative, <17 equivocal, >17 positive

TTG AB (IGA) 3: Reference Range: <5 Negative, 5-8 Equivocal, and >8 Positive.

My daughter's gliadin and ttg were both >100. Her GI visit is next week. I believe these results for my son are the kind we want, but I just need so reassurance.

Thanks bunches and have a great day.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Debbie B in MD Explorer

Okay, since there haven't been any posts to the contrary, I am going with..... he is fine. Right?

MsCurious Enthusiast

Okay, since there haven't been any posts to the contrary, I am going with..... he is fine. Right?

It looks like he's fine, but I'm not a doctor. ;) Just ask your doc to confirm that he's a-okay. Another thing you can do, just for peace of mind, is do the genetic test. Less (just about zero) chance of him ever having celiac, if he's out of the genetic pool. He may develop gluten sensitivity, but at least you wouldn't have to worry about the celiac part so much.

sb2178 Enthusiast

Right, so just keep an eye on him for symptoms. If he get them, you can do follow-up testing and if that is negative, seriously try putting him on a gluten-free diet with your daughter.

Some docs recommend follow-up testing every so often (I've heard everything from annual to 5 years) in case he develops silent celiac.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Since about 20% of blood test results are false negatives it wouldn't hurt to put him on a trial gluten free diet and see if any of his symptoms resolve while gluten free. Also, I have read false negatives are higher in children. If you decide to keep him on gluten, just be aware that he can develop a gluten intolerance or celaic at anytime in his life based on his genes (your daughter got it from somewhere). This one test result does not mean he is in the clear for life. You will want to keep an eye on him for symptoms and retest as needed.

T.H. Community Regular

My son had a negative blood test, but we ended up putting him on a gluten free diet anyway. In part, because it was easier to cook that way (we have two diagnosed celiacs in the house anyway). And he had symptoms I didn't even know WERE symptoms that went away on the diet. We did a short gluten trial at 1 year gluten free, and the symptoms came back, so now he's on the diet permanently.

And definitely keep testing as he is getting older, if you don't keep him gluten free. It can trigger at any age, and when the celiac disease is silent, which many times it is now, it can do some major damage before there are any symptoms.

Archived