This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ooops

Bamberz1977

Bamberz1977 Newbie

So I accidentally glutened myself today, I'm not sure how but about 15 minutes after lunch today I was running to the bathroom with V&D. It confuses me a little though...prior to going gluten-free I had some GI issues but not as bad as today. Does your body learn to compensate some prior to diagnosis? I have only been gluten-free for about a week and a half so I'm not quite sure why the reaction has been so darn violent.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Many posters report a worsened reaction after being gluten free. It is why so many gluten challenges for testing purposes do not last the distance.

This warning from glutensensitivity.net:

WARNING: Once a gluten free diet is well established, if the patient truly is gluten reactive, experience shows that it is risky to return to a gluten diet or to see-saw on and off. Reactions are often more severe after a gluten free diet is well established, BUT they may or may not be immediately obvious, depending on the area of the body affected.

hnybny91 Rookie

I was glutened off of a gluten free menu (I suspect the cook did not make my chicken minus the grill sauce like the gluten free menu said they would) and before I even left the restaurant I had to go throw up in the bathroom. I was only gluten free for one month at that point and vomiting was NEVER one of my symptoms prior to going gluten free.

Hawthorn Rookie

I too have found the reaction much more severe if I take gluten.

I ate the stuff for two weeks to try and get diagnosed and felt like I was dying. It made the symptoms that made me cut it out in the first place look mild in comparison, and brought up new ones besides.

Bamberz1977 Newbie

I too have found the reaction much more severe if I take gluten.

I ate the stuff for two weeks to try and get diagnosed and felt like I was dying. It made the symptoms that made me cut it out in the first place look mild in comparison, and brought up new ones besides.

No doubt...Friday was V&D, Saturday was joint pain, and today has been fatigue and random nosebleeds. On the bright side, my husband who has been thinking that I have become a complete wing nut has come around after seeing what happened lol.

Jestgar Rising Star

On the bright side, my husband who has been thinking that I have become a complete wing nut has come around after seeing what happened lol.

Good of you to take one for the team... <_<

GFinDC Veteran

Constant bombardment, then a 2 week lull in fighting, and then boom resumed bombardment! Enough to make a person sit up and take notice, and maybe have a pronounced reaction. Give your body's immune system a break and let it recover a bit, then throw a bombshell at it. It's going to fight back with renewed strength after having a rest.

I had the same experience, after a few weeks, minor cross contamination affected me much worse (apparently) than constant exposure before gluten-free. When your guts are beaten to a pulp every day, all day, they may not register a minor invasion above the ongoing noise. But give them time out to begin recovering and they notice the next onslaught.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived